re adding fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmg farms

Junior
Reaction score
we made 3.5 gallons of wild blackberry mead. used 5 #s of berries. not much flavor. they sat for 30 days in the secondary. can i read more fruit and let it sit again ? thanks

i used 16#'s wf honey 5.5 gal deer park water, oxygenated must for 2 hrs O.G 1.096. then hydrated lavin 71B yeast added energizer added nutrients. fermented for 30 days F. G. 0.996
i took this young mead and split it up to trying to make different 3 differnt melomels. this melomel is where i added 5#'s of wild blackberries(they were previously frozen) and let it set for another 30 days. im guessing that the wild blackberries just didnt have enough flavor/juice to them. so i was thinking about buying frozen blackberries and letting them set again for 30 days. thanks

You shouldn't have any problem at all.

I make bunches of cherry mead every year using frozen montmorency cherries. Slightly crushing the fruit with something like an empty liquor bottle and adding a bit of pectic enzyme to the must will definitely help extract more juice from the fruit. Your fermentation will probably start up again from the sugar in the new fruit.

Back