Ramblings of a cheapskate....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
Hi, gang!!!

After all this time, you'd think I'd run out of dumb questions...but, no!
I just started roughly a 3.5 gallon (?) batch of peach wine. This will be my 3rd adventure with peach. I kinda, sorta followed a recipe I found here, but this question doesn't have to do with the results, just the process.

I started out with 20# of peeled, pitted peaches cut into 1/8ths. That filled about 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket. Okay, following the recommendations, I split it into two primaries. I put 10# in each of 2 buckets, and added a shy 2 gallons of water, bringing it to approx. the 4 gallon mark.

I did all the normal stuff (k-meta in each primary for 24hrs, etc.) and took the SG. 1.016. Okay, time to add the sugar since I wanted ~1.085 SG to start. 6 pounds of sugar later, I had SG 1.089. Yea! Wait a minnit! That was just one bucket. Another 6# of sugar brought primary #2 up to 1.089, also. Good to go! Next comes the yeast, and nutrient. Hummm.... 2 primaries, so each one needed a dose of nutrient, and yeast starter. Can't skimp on the yeast, so one packet of Lalvin EC-1118 in each primary, plus enough nutrient for 3 gallons of product in each.
Now I'm ready for a break, and just punching down the cap a couple times a day.

As I'm sippin' on my toddy, admiring my work, it hit me. In the past, I've always extracted all the juice possible from the peaches (pectic enzyme, straining, squeezing, etc.), put it in one 5 gallon primary, topped it up to 4 gallons, and added all the other goodies. I know from experience it would take about 7# of sugar, one packet of yeast, and 4 tsp of nutrient. I just built TWO primaries for a total of 12# of sugar, 2 packs of yeast, and 6 tsp of nutrient --- with a projected finished volume equal to using the straight juice. I had to use 2 primaries because of the volume of the fresh peaches.

So...am I just being a cheapskate, or did my reasoning fail me here? Plus, in the past I never had to worry about punching down a cap of floating debris, and it fermented dry in about 3 weeks. Can someone tell me why I would ever want to use fresh fruit in a bag again, and it's associated hassles, compared to starting with fresh juice?

Last edited:
IMHO using fruit versus juice depends on the type of wine you are making, many lighter bodied fruit and white wines are great on juice alone, however some wines do seem to benefit from time on the whole fruit and all the little goodies that it can provide. For your peach as long as you started with good juice and are happy with the taste in the end I think your fine.

Latest posts

Back