Raisins and MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I've ordered an Italian Valpolicella bucket and was planning on using raisins in secondary to mimic the Ripassa process used in Italy. I was also planning on running this wine through MLF. Does anyone see any issues with racking to secondary with raisins and pitching the MLB the same day? Thanks.

Jim

Jim,

I have a Merlot juice bucket in primary right now with an added grape skins pack (SG ~1.025 now).

Would be interested to know the answer for your question too as I will put this batch though MLF too.

Last edited:
Mlf can produce VA in the presence of sugar .
Not always but there is a risk .

It's also possible for the yeast ferment to get stuck in the presence of MLB , so it's possible your wine might not ferment dry.
This risk is increased because your yeast will be tired and near the end of their life cycle and your nutrients may be all used up.

You might get away with your plan but a safer way would be to let the sugars all ferment dry before pitching MLB.

Jim,

manvswine is correct, so you if you plan using the raisins then you may want to leave that 2nd fermentation complete to dry with the raisins; then rack and start mlf.

Latest posts

Back