Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron22

Reaction score
A noob question. What is the reason for racking a wine more than once? I am doing an apple and was told to rack it every 3 months untill bottling.
Just what is gainged by the multible rackings?

A noob question. What is the reason for racking a wine more than once? I am doing an apple and was told to rack it every 3 months untill bottling.
Just what is gainged by the multible rackings?

Sediment dropping out of wine is a continuous (more or less) process. When you rack, you are removing the wine from the sediment that has already settled, but there will likely be more to drop over an extended period of time.

Generally speaking, you don't want your wine to sit on a layer of sediment for an extended time or you risk off flavors and even spoilage.

Generally speaking, you don't want your wine to sit on a layer of sediment for an extended time or you risk off flavors and even spoilage.

OK that makes sence. So how often should I rack? What is an extended time on sediment?

Every three months is a good time frame that way you can add the k-meta as well. Once clear you don't need to rack just bulk age in the carboy although you still need to add k-meta every three to four months.

Every 3 months like said or if your wine drops a lot then about 3/4" is also a good amount to get your wine off of. If there is nothing to rack off of then dont and just sulfite your wine as that should also be done every 3-4 months.

Back