racking questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemcc

Junior
Reaction score
could anyone tell me the ratio of camden tabs to gallons when racking?

1 campden tablet per gallon of wine. I don't add this in between my primary and secondary rackings. Once fermentation is complete - i will add it at when i rack - and then every 3-4 months of aging. However - if you are planning on doing MLF - it is not suggested to add after fermentation is complete - as the MLF bacteria do not do well with sulfites present.

I use the Potassium Metabisulfite (K-Meta) - it is much easier to dissolve and measure.

i added 4 tablets to 5 gallons on my first racking i believe fermentation was done my sg was 1.000 i hope i didnt mess up

In reallity 3.5 campden tablets equals 1/4 tsp but 1 campden tablet is just a little more which is still in a decent range and will just protect your wine for a tad longer.

Mr. winemaker, I think I understand what you're saying but... If you're going to add sulfates they go in last, correct?

While were talking about MLF, why do whites not require MLF (or do they)? bk

Some whites do well with MLF while others dont as it would flatten the wine leaving it very flabby. Most whites really are better with the tartness where as reds arent. Chardonnays are usually one of the whites that are very good with MLF and it makes them buttery tasting. As far as sulfites go, you dont want to add them while your wine is fermenting or if you plan on doing MLF as it will kill the MLF bacteria and prevent it from working at least at normal levels, Im not sure what the level is but believe its somewhere around 25 ppm.

For whites, I monitor the SO2 levels, but I cannot recall ever having to add more meta. I guess it picks up enough residual meta from when I rinse the new vessel and racking hose.

Thanks, I knew it was right around there and I think each strain might differ a little.

When adding Sulfates are rules of thumb close enough or do I need to buy more equipment? bk

Latest posts

Back