Racking and topping off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcavan01

Reaction score
If you add k-meta and sorbate after you rack and don't have enough wine to top off won't the k-meta and sorbate fill the open space with SO2? I'm not talking alot of open space but some.

if you have excessive head space, and have an airlock sealing your wine, then you really need to top your wine off.

A carboy, for example, can "breath" (Sucking in air from the outside, or expelling headspace air on the inside) through your airlock.

This can be caused by temperature changes (warm air expands, cool air contracts). It can also be caused by changes in the weather (barametric pressure changes). In either case, the more air you have in your wine container, the more "breathing" occurs.

This is bad because it will feed your wine a steady supply of fresh oxygen. This can cause oxydation, which (as any winemaker can tell you) makes the wine undrinkable!

Fill her up, and keep her filled! Use wine (storebought even) and not water. Water will dillute the acid, alcohol, and flavor of the wine.

I agree with JohnT. Don't risk ruining your wine by not topping off.

Personally, I prefer inexpensive vodka as an airlock filler. I have used K-Meta solutions and still had "stuff" growing in the lock. And removing that from an "S" airlock is darn near impossible.
And the explanation by John T on the reason for airlocks is right on.

Latest posts

Back