RACKING AND FUNNELS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctshep97

Reaction score
does any one use a funnel with a strainer in it when racking the first or second time to catch some of the sediment. does it help??

If racking the first time, a funnel with a strainer may help if doing a fruit wine with a lot of floaties, but doing a kit, just rack and don't be afraid to take a little sediment with itto get all the wine you can.....I would not use the funnel at the second racking [your fermentation is usually done at this time and you would be exposing your wine to too much O2]......

I i did the first rack of a gallon fruit wine that was ferminting in a old crock and could not see in to the bottom, so i got a lot of trash. i have a gallon jug now with about 1/4 sediment in the bottom and a large wine bottle with about 1/3 sediment. i thought a strainer would get a lot of it out if i sucked it up again racking.i don't wish to waste any of the wine.

You need a auto siphon. The idea is to leave the dregs behind. Using a strainer you will introduce to much air plus it clogs to fast.

Latest posts

Back