Racking a second time?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrydg

Junior
Reaction score
24 days after the first racking of my small gallon batch of mead, I've gotten a good amount of lees on the bottom again- about 1/4 of an inch. In fact, lees began developing on the bottom of the container just 3 or 4 days after my first racking. I've read something about "fine lees" being less harmful to the flavor than "gros lees", and was wondering if it would be a good idea to try just leaving it to age sur lie. I'm kind of reluctant to let out the CO2 that's built up, since I'm afraid of it turning to honey vinegar like one bottle of mine did.

(Edit: Just want to add, the mead is 9 weeks 3 days old today.)

24 days after the first racking of my small gallon batch of mead, I've gotten a good amount of lees on the bottom again- about 1/4 of an inch. In fact, lees began developing on the bottom of the container just 3 or 4 days after my first racking. I've read something about "fine lees" being less harmful to the flavor than "gros lees", and was wondering if it would be a good idea to try just leaving it to age sur lie. I'm kind of reluctant to let out the CO2 that's built up, since I'm afraid of it turning to honey vinegar like one bottle of mine did.

(Edit: Just want to add, the mead is 9 weeks 3 days old today.)
some yeasts are fine for ageing "sur lie", others aren't. So you'd have to search to check.

Plus, it's not unusual for even an apparently clear mead to drop sediment. It's often better to follow the usual steps to clear it, then just before you prep it to bottle or bulk age, run it through a filter for a final polish, though even then there's no guarantee it won't drop a further fine dusting of sediment over time......

Back