Racked too early - fermentation has stopped

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiccan_Lager

Reaction score
Good evening y'all,

This Saturday I was planning on racking into some fresh glass. I figured while i was at it I would add my stabilizers and sulfites. Before I add my stabilizers though I wanted to ensure my fermentation has completed. So I took some samples this evening and noticed that All 3 types of my wine have stopped at around the .998-1.000 on the hydrometer. This shouldn't be so as we began our process back in October. This got me thinking. Did I muff up anywhere and I think I found what I have done incorrectly but I am unsure as to the proper way to fix it. Check this out:

October 1st - add yeast slurry to juice pales.

October 4th - transferred juice to plastic barrels (Food grade. No worries my friends). Topped with air locks.

November 14 - Racked into carboys. Added oaks. Hydrometer reading 1.000. Topped with air locks.

January 9 (today)- Tested level before racking. Hydrometer still at 1.000.

So this is where where I think the error is: I racking into carboys from barrels too early. But what do I do here? Did I rack off the active yeast? Do I just add a yeast energizer or do I add yeast (this option doesn't sound right but hey I am open for anything here).

Never the less I am going to rack again on saturday because I need to get the oak cubes out of the wine. They have been there for 2 months.

So anyway. Your help is greatly appreciated. So yeah...hit me up.

:c

No idea what the sg reading was on October 4th?

Steve

I might be misunderstanding, but you say that you started wine in October, and it is at 1.000 - .998 in January, and you don't think that is correct?
You still want these to ferment even more?
What kind of wine are these?

No idea what the sg reading was on October 4th?

Steve

No, I made the mistake of just transfering. They were extremely active so I figured why bother looking when I know they still have a lot more to go.

I might be misunderstanding, but you say that you started wine in October, and it is at 1.000 - .998 in January, and you don't think that is correct?
You still want these to ferment even more?
What kind of wine are these?

I thought they were to ferment to dry (.990 - .993). At least that is what I have been seeing when I look at books and here in the forums. And from what I always read, these should have been fermented in about 2 months. If they dont have to ferment any further then awesome. Less work for me! I just thought the fermentation would be have to bring it down lower.

I have petite sirah/zin/alicante blend, a zin/aliecante blend and a pinot grigio.

Last edited:
Those reference SG values are just that - references. Each batch of wine will end at different values.

If the SG is at or below 1.000 and it hasn't changed (normally for thee days in a row), fermentation is finished.

You mite want to check your hydrometer and see if it is still calibrated. Should be at 1.000 in distilled water. Also allow for temp. differences. Arne.

Ahh. See I always read to "ferment to dry". When I saw the thread "hydrometers for newbies" it shows the values ".990-.993" as 'dry'. So this is why I thought I needed to get it down to that level.

Then I looked at the thread here wine the wine book and it then showed a shart saying values 1.000 or less is dry.

See where things can get a little confusing?

You mite want to check your hydrometer and see if it is still calibrated. Should be at 1.000 in distilled water. Also allow for temp. differences. Arne.

I will try that tonight.

Good idea.

However, if it is off, then what? I am assuming I would prob need a new one. Or do I just make adjustments.

Back