RJ Spagnols R. J. Spagnols Chocolate Orange Port Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
I just noticed that the instructions with this kit say to "Let wine stand until Day 42 in an elevated place cool area (59-66F)"

smiley3.gif

My house is *never* that cool. Most kits have done fine at 72F.......

That's a suggested range that would be applicable to aging any red wine in a cellar conditions (I usually kept mine at 59-62 F; kept meaning I no longer have a wine cellar). Unless you have an air conditioned cellar or some form of refrigeration, I would not worry about it. This is Texas and we have our limitations. A cooler environment would promote a smoother and better conditioned wine. If you are extremely anal, you could set it in a tub with water and wrap the carboy with a wet towel, keeping the towel moist by dipping the bottom edges in the tub of water.

The cooler temps help it to clear better. No worries. They also recommend filtration of this wine too, but many have not even done that. I still have a carboy of mine from last years vintage still bulk aging, and my fermentation room is usually only that cool in the winter.

No, there was no oak, and I did not add any. This kit is perfect without any modification. I think oak would detract from both the chocolate and hint of orange flavor.

Even traditional ports are made in neutral barrels, so I don't think port should have a lot of oak taste.

Thanks Dean,
I racked this one last week and topped up with 1/2 cup grand marnier and about one cup of brandy. I tasted this while racking and thought the chocolate flavor quite strong and the Orange a bit light hence the topping up concoction.

Think I'll let it bulk age for a while and bottle later this summer. It certainly has promise, though.

Latest posts

Back