Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vitis

Junior
Reaction score
I have a six gallons of juice and one lug of Chilean Malbec in a primary bucket and I had planned to pitch yeast in the morning. Unfortunately I have an unexpected trip this weekend and will now be away from Friday to Monday afternoon. should I still pitch yeast? It has a dose of K meta.

Yes, if you wait there is a good chance it will just start with wild yeast. You are only going to be away for the weekend, it will be fine.

Yes... I agree. Pitch it. With the small amount of grapes it will barely need a punch down anyways.

I agree with Julie and Sdelli. If you have the grapes in a mesh bag, you can always try to weigh it down. I've done that in the past, when I had to be away for a day or so toward the end of primary. I tied two sanitized coffee mugs to the bag and that added just enough weight to keep it submerged.

Thanks all. I tied the grapes down with mugs as suggested by Boatboy24. Worked great!

Back