Question regarding the addition of Yeast Nutrient

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericsp

Reaction score
This will be my second year making wine.

I currently have been using the book "The Home Winemaker's Companion".

Using Sangiovese Grapes

I have an estimate of 40 gallons I will be pitching.

In the book it says add 8.8 g yeast nutrient for a 5 gallon batch.

So that comes to 70.4 grams of yeast nutrient for 40 gallons. The book has me add it all at once but after some reading I'm under the impression I should add it slowly over the course of the ferment?

How many grams pre Pitching? How many grams per day? and does the 70.4 grams look correct?

Last edited:
The approach I learned here is to add the nutrient in thirds, with the last 1/3 no later than 1.030-1.040 in order that you decrease the risk of unused nutrient which feed bad critters.

1 teaspoon per gallon of juice. Some add all at once-usually what I do. Some do half and half.

Your preference.

The "normal" course of action, is to add the nutrient 2-3 days into fermentation. That way no unwanted critters get the nutrient, and you're cultured yeast has fully taken over fermentation.

In theory, adding it all at once, following the above advice is all you need to do. But it is possible, that given the severe absence of nutrient under harsh fermentation conditions, that an additional (above what is calculated originally) may be needed.

Here's a write-up I put together
It's a bit in-depth for your question but it will address it

Generic "yeast nutrient" is mostly DAP, so when reading, keep that in mind
(Thats why its coupled with "yeast energizer" - the energizer is "everything else")

Latest posts

Back