question on measuring alcohol potential

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmerzakr

Junior
Reaction score
Please help me with this hypothetical question that isn't all that hypothetical if you catch my drift....

Assume the starting SG of a must is 1.2, with a potential alcohol level of about 15.5% (yes, I know, too high, but bear with me on this)
Assume fermentation takes the SG down to 1.07 before it becomes stuck. At 1.07 the alcohol potential is now about 9%
Can one subtract 9% from 15.5% and come to the conclusion that the must now has 6.5% alcohol ? Does it work that way?

just use this simple formula...starting sg minus ending sg divided by .0074 and that gives you what you need....

Last edited:
Please help me with this hypothetical question that isn't all that hypothetical if you catch my drift....

Assume the starting SG of a must is 1.2, with a potential alcohol level of about 15.5% (yes, I know, too high, but bear with me on this)
Assume fermentation takes the SG down to 1.07 before it becomes stuck. At 1.07 the alcohol potential is now about 9%
Can one subtract 9% from 15.5% and come to the conclusion that the must now has 6.5% alcohol ? Does it work that way?

Before you start doing any arithmetic on your readings, you need to get your readings correct. First they should always be quoted as 3 decimal places.

Second, does 1.2 mean 1.200, 1.020, or 1.002. Cause none of them work out to 15.5%. However, 1.120 does.

So, 1.120 - 1.070 = .050 * 133 = 6.65%

Steve

Thanks, Steve for setting me straight. I should have been more careful with my numbers, and 1.120 is the number to work with. I follow your answer and appreciate the response.

Both Steve and Al are right. They just go down different roads to get to the same place.

Tom, what do you and your group do as far as measuring alcohol?

Not sure about the group but I use what U do. I do not care to the tenth of alcohol so I just round up/down the the closest 1/2 or whole#

I have always used brix x .575 so 23brix x .575=13.2%.At least this is what i have read.

Back