Question for the Pro Wine Makers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavorgna

Reaction score
I am writing this to the pro wine makers that own / run a winery/vineyard and / or to those who are the wine makers.
I live in CT and would like to take my wine making to the next level.

How did you get started? Did you take any classes? If so, where did you take them and what classes would you suggest?

I currently am growing a little over 50 wine grape plants in my yard and hope to harvest some in Oct 14 (planted them in April 2012). Can also use suggestions on when to prune and to how far back. (using VSP)

Long term goal is to buy land and start a winery.

Your advise would greatly be appreciated.
You can reply here or privately

Thanks
Gio

Gio, I did not take classes but learned most of what I know right from this forum by asking questions and reading posts (and making mistakes). I start entering contests to learn who the local winemakers were and became friends with them and shared ideas and wines. Once you know enough to know what you don't know visit wineries and talk to them about their wines. Ask to volunteer when they have tasting events, bottling or harvest. This is how you will learn if you pick decent wineries. There are some excellent online classes. Some colleges like Penn State and Cornell offer 1 or 2 day classes on specific topics. I'm taking a couple in the next 8 weeks, one on wine faults and another on the micro biology of wine.

Gio, have you entered any contests and how did your wine do up against others? How many varieties have you made? What do you friends say about your wine and are they being honest? Do you have any idea what kind of cash it will take to get started?

Gio, I did not take classes but learned most of what I know right from this forum by asking questions and reading posts (and making mistakes). I start entering contests to learn who the local winemakers were and became friends with them and shared ideas and wines. Once you know enough to know what you don't know visit wineries and talk to them about their wines. Ask to volunteer when they have tasting events, bottling or harvest. This is how you will learn if you pick decent wineries. There are some excellent online classes.

Gio, have you entered any contests and how did your wine do up against others? How many varieties have you made? What do you friends say about your wine and are they being honest? Do you have any idea what kind of cash it will take to get started?

Runninwolf is right NETWORK,NETWORK, and NETWORK some more. That is how I started and it ended up turning into more of my new full time position at a commercial winery than owning my own. Big reason for that is money. It takes a lot of that to start even a small farm winery. Remember what we do is an art, only so much can be learned from books. You got to have the hands on.

Gio, I started in 2009 and followed my dream. I took on line classes, inturned at several winery's that were in a 100 mile area. I also hired a wine consultant when I got close to opening. Its a long road to do it correctly. I took classes from Vista. They have a great program, check it out. The wine consultant helped me with the lab work. I had a budget of 150K and spent 200K. It took every penny. You can message me if you like and we will talk about the finer things that would take too long to type. Good luck

Galen, that would be great.

Runnigwolf yes, I have entered a few contests and have won Peoples Choice awards (3 years running) and a couple of local professional awards with Pinot Noir. This past year I have made a Chilean Cab Sav, another Pinot Noir, pinot grigio and a sangiovese.
I have made a facebook page Tre Ginzo Vino
People who have tried my wine enjoy drinking it and say its good.
Here is some background... I have been around wine making since I can remember. Hanging around and helping my grandfather and father. Back in 2000 made it with a couple of friends who wanted to learn. We have been making it old school but last year am trying to use different yeasts , additives etc.. We used to drink all of our wine by the following years end. With the 2012 batch I have left about 5 gallons which made a huge difference in taste, ( much better aged)

I do understand it would take more than a few dollars to get started but am seriously going to look into it this year.

Thanks ...

Being from Ct you will want to check the laws out for a farm winery. Here in NY we can only use grapes grown in NY. If that is your case also, you will be limited to varieties you can source there. Check those varieties out and see if you can make wine from them that will be as good.

Back