Question about fermenatation temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCal1952

Reaction score
Hi - Been making wine a long time and never ran into this.

I started my wine on 4/11/15 at a temp of 72. Since then, it has warmed up here in Virginia and my house temp is at 75, still within a good range.

STRANGE! The wine I am making shows a temp of 79 degrees with a very "aggressive" bubbling in the aerator. Why is the juice hotter than my home, and is this a bad sign???

Thanks

Joe

is this the first time you have checked the actual temperature of the fermenting must? I find that the vast majority of my wines ferment above ambient temperature. Seems the more of a workhorse the yeast the greater difference in temperature.

is this the first time you have checked the actual temperature of the fermenting must? I find that the vast majority of my wines ferment above ambient temperature. Seems the more of a workhorse the yeast the greater difference in temperature.

I checked the temp before I added the yeast and it was 72....I always check the temp daily, but today I noticed that very aggressive bubbling in the aerator so I decided to look again. The temp showed 79, and this morning it showed 72. The house temp this morning was 70 then rose to 75....If this is normal than I have no concern. I just never experienced it before...

Thanks

Yes, the metabolic activity of the yeast gives off heat. Just like when you go to a crowded party and before you know it, the room is rather warm.

I did read that Paul - even says temps up to 85 are OK, but now the room smells a bit "funny"...Not like rotten eggs, but not like the last batch of nebbiolo I made...Maybe because it is just fermenting faster? The aerator still look like a small pot of boiling water, that's how fast it is bubbling.

I guess I'll just wait this one out?

I did read that Paul - even says temps up to 85 are OK, but now the room smells a bit "funny"...Not like rotten eggs, but not like the last batch of nebbiolo I made...Maybe because it is just fermenting faster? The aerator still look like a small pot of boiling water, that's how fast it is bubbling.

I guess I'll just wait this one out?

Depending on the yeast, even temps as high as 90 degrees is OK. I get batches that have spiked that high at the "top of the fermentation curve".

Thanks

Depending on the yeast, even temps as high as 90 degrees is OK. I get batches that have spiked that high at the "top of the fermentation curve".

Thanks JohnT.

This Nebbiolo kit was a different brand than the last kit. I found different yeast and a larger pack of bentonite in this kit and different instructions on how to add the bentonite. The temp is holding now at 79 and the bubbling is sort of looking less "aggressive". Since I started this on 4/11, I am looking ahead 5 - 7 days for the primary fermentation to stop. I will take a sample and do a gravity test and start 2nd fermentation. I will know more after I sample the wine...Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
Joecal1952.. This has nothing to so with the pose, but is that a 62 Les Paul in your avatar?

I know how you feel, I have a 59 sunburst and a 54 that looks very similar to your 62 love them both dearly.

I know how you feel, I have a 59 sunburst and a 54 that looks very similar to your 62 love them both dearly.

That's when Gibson really made guitars. Now everything is a reissue.

BTW - all is well with my wine so far. Started at 1.090 and now at 0.992 and just started secondary fermentation.

Latest posts

Back