Punching Down The Cap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasktim

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I started on a my first strawberry/rhubarb recipe and will be adding the yeast tomorrow and the instructions say to punch down the cap twice a day for 5-7 days afterwards. My question is I am using a straining bag so will it still be necessary do this? I have only made kit wines so far and have never had any experience with this procedure before. Also should I still be squeezing the straining bag at this point? SG is 1.088 and I just added the pectic enzyme, it will be 12 hours when I add the yeast. Thank You, Tim.

My question is I am using a straining bag so will it still be necessary do this?

Yes. You will find that during active fermentation, the bag has a tendency to fill with gas and float. So, you need to press the bag to expel the gas, including agitate CO2 out of solution in the bag, to sink the bag.

Also should I still be squeezing the straining bag at this point?

Yes, but.... IMHO, you don't need to squeeze it dry. pressing out the gas trapped in the bag, and getting some fluid exchange to bring out the dissolved good stuff.

If you added any peptic enzyme to your must there is no need at all to squeeze your straining bag. The enzymes will break down the cell structure allowing the sugars to be released.

I myself in lieu of a straining bag will remove remaining fruit pulp/seeds with a colander with a handle. This works well.

By the time all of the sugars have been eaten there isn't much left.

Back