Pumpkin Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeleepad

Junior
Reaction score
Any recipes for pumpkin wines out there? If so website please.
Has anyone tried pumpkin yet? If so, how was it?

Any recipes for pumpkin wines out there? If so website please.
Has anyone tried pumpkin yet? If so, how was it?

I personally love making pumpkin wine - I freeze them after removing the seeds and then put them thru the crusher and start the fermenting process - I will typically use jack kellers receipe ,but typically I use more pumpkins because they are soo cheap after the 31 st
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques53.asp

Last edited:
I started 3 gallons 2 weeks ago. I started with Jack Keller's recipe but I must say that on paper and in practice, the sugar in that recipe doesn't add up for me. He says that the sugar is "high" and you can ferment it to 18% but it only has 1.75# sugar. Most of his other recipes have at least 2# of sugar, and based on what I've read, there is not enough sugar in pumpkin meat to make up that difference.

Nevertheless, I didn't want 18% and I didn't want to leave the residual sugar to chance. So I cut back on the sugar initially to 1.5#/gallon and I came to SG of 1.062. I wanted more like 1.085 and to get there I ended up with about 2.1# sugar per gallon. It went to 1.004 in three days and is bubbling ever so slowly in the secondary. I'll rack it today or tomorrow.

I started a 6 gallon batch last year towards the end of Nov. and it's still in the carboy, slowly still dropping sediment out. It refuses to clear! Oh well, I've got plenty to hold me over till it decides it's ready....

Also when making pumpkin wine consider your type of pumpkin. The sugar pie pumpkins work well, some people use Hubbard's squash (remind me of weird green-colored UFO's for some reason), others use yams or sweet potatoes. And plenty of pectic enzyme.

I have a pumpkin chai mead clearing now, and plan to make the "pumpkin wine in a pumpkin" soon---need to find a good sized sugar pie pumpkin or two.

I have a gallon of Pumpkin Pie that's been bulk aging for 10 months. I used 2 large cans of Libby's Pumpkin Pie mix just to try. It's very clear and at last racking, it tasted pretty good. Hopefully, I'll enjoy it during the holidays.

We have lottsa pie pumpkins this year. If you were close, Sarah, you could come and get all you want. Problem is your Louisville is probably Ky. instead of Louisville Ne. Mite have to fight Kathy for them, they are sittin all over our yard. Should probably try pumpkin, but there is so much fruit in the freezer, I am being told its time to clear it out before trying anything else. It is a good problem to have. Arne.

Thanks Arne...but yes, I am in Louisville KY area. What a road trip that would be for pumpkins! I am patiently waiting on an area church's youth group to set up their annual pumpkin sale--they always have a great variety, nice local pumpkins & their youth group does a great job all year long with having things for the kids from the entire area, just not their church, to do.

We were talking about opening a bottle of our pumpkin wine tonight. We used pumpkin pie spices and at last smell, it was very pumpkiny. I suppose it's getting close to two years aged now, and has been in the bottle for six months.

Latest posts

Back