Pumpkin Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaughn

Reaction score
Now I know I'm hooked on this hobby. I was looking at the sad jack-o-lantern that we carved the day before Halloween thinking, "I could make wine out of this."

2005-11-04_123844_pumkinwine1.jpg

Here we have Ashton (10) with her Jack-o-Lantern. She gladly hands it over to dad after Halloween because she knows dad will make toasted pumpkin seeds from it.

I used the recipe on this web site. First step was to cut up and gut the sucker.

2005-11-04_124047_pumkinwine0.jpg

This was not an easy process. Raw pumpkin meat is tough. I found that using a potato peeler works good on the skin. If you want to toast seeds (as we do every year), wash and let them dry completely. Coat them with olive oil and sprinkle your favorite seasoning. We like garlic salt. Spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. If you don't let them dry, they will be chewy.

Then to the wine. I tried Waldo's idea of using the magic bullet.

2005-11-04_124502_pumkinwine2.jpg

This did not work well. I eventually overheated the thing. So I resorted to using the cheese grater to break up the meat. 4-5 lbs of Pumpkin meat takes up a lot of room in the 1 gallon bucket.

Next I boil a gallon of water, dissolved sugar to 1.1 SG.Added the other ingredients (Tannin, yeast nutrient and Camden. I also added pectin enzyme and a tsp. of pumpkin pie spice even though the recipe did not call for it.)

2005-11-04_125027_pumkinwine4.jpg

Poured the mixture over the pumpkin meat and then tied up the bag. This came out pretty full, but it never did foam up.

After 4 days of fermentation, we are at 1.02 SG. Good enough to rack to glass.

2005-11-04_125402_pumkinwine3.jpg

The bag was a bear to squeeze all the juice out of. I got a cramp trying to get my gallon of liquid back.
smiley7.gif

Had to have a taste as we transfered to glass.

2005-11-04_125610_pumkinwine5.jpg

I really liked it. This is definitely one I will want to sweeten back to 1.01 to 1.02 before I bottle. The spice adds a nice touch and did not turn the color at all. It is yellow, wish it was orange.

Here we are in the SECONDARY VESSEL for PRIMARY FERMENTATION.
smiley2.gif

2005-11-04_125913_pumkinwine6.jpg

I'll top up after we get to 1.0. The carboy on the left is merlot. I've had it on oak for almost 8 weeks now. It will go to bottles next week.

Yes, I know the primary is empty. I'm needing to save money for the Christmas shopping next couple of months. She'll be back in action in January. In the meantime, I'm having fun with the gallon batches.

I think the pumpkin will be great to pull out next Thanksgiving. Also planning to do Cranberry if I can find some on sale after Thanksgiving.

Yup you are hooked when you make sure you can't make wine out of something before throwing it out...Awesome!

Looks Great...don't you love it when a plan comes together!

Grrrrr....The Pumpkin sounds and looks great
smiley32.gif
It was on my to do list but have now run out carboy/demi's so will have to give it a miss this year.

PWP,

I should of added that I have virtually run out of storage space this being after I had made extra room to accomodate the recently aquired 25l teardrops x2 and the other 5 single demi's for the wines I have in secondary at the moment.
smiley1.gif

I hear ya about running out of room....I can see my 720 bottle wine cellar will be too small within 6 months.

Never thought that would happen!

BTW...Winemaster...I have not forgotten about posting the measurements of the racking you asked about I just need to dig out the numbers or a tape measure and write it down again.

Winemaster said:
PWP,

I should of added that I have virtually run out of storage space this being after I had made extra room to accomodate the recently aquired 25l teardrops x2 and the other 5 single demi's for the wines I have in secondary at the moment.
smiley1.gif

Oh David, I guess you'll just have to empty the cupboards!
smiley2.gif
Maybe get rid of your comfy chair. There's always room for another carboy and Jell-O!
smiley36.gif

Actually, I do understand. I'm desperate to make more room in my house and have started giving things away just so I can move around.

Just a suggestion that helped me with last year's pumpkin wine:

To get the meat out easily, I used an ice-cream scoop. I don't know how I figured on using it, but it worked really well.

Great post, Ashton looks very cute!
smiley32.gif

Looks great Hollow. Will be intresting to see how the spices affect the taste of the wine once completed. You said you wished it was orange colored. I was just wondering if one could use food colorings in thir wines to make it any particular color they wanted? Hmmmmmm !!!
smiley24.gif
Edited by: Waldo

Hollow oak - I started 2 1/2 gallons of local pumpkin the second week in
October and have racked once since then. I added house toast oak cubes,
hoping for a pumpkin "chardonnay" type finish. Your post made me curious
about how mine is doing so I dug it out from under the sink to take a look
and a taste. It is clearing well and isn't nearly as yellow as originally
(definitely won't be orange.) It will resemble a grape chardonnay probably,
with a golden hue to it. The taste is wonderful already. I used Jack Keller's
recipe, which started with a big gob of sugar. He commented that it would
turn out alcoholic, and I think he is right, but it seems balanced at this early
stage. I might have a photo or two still on the camera. If so, I'll post.

Bill

Waldo said:
Looks great Hollow.

Thanks for the "attaboys" folks. Even the one from Hippie! (no one has called me princes before
smiley9.gif
)

I'm thinking of changing my forum name. Hollow Oak Wine is the name I gave to my "winery". My real name is Vaughn. I have a couple of nick-names, but they probably would not be appropriate for the forum. I'll think of something so you won't have to call me Hollow or HO or whatever. Need to update that avatar too.

I can help you with that...what do you want as a new user name?

Latest posts

Back