Pumpkin In World Where Grape Wine Is King

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btom2004

Wine On My Mind
Reaction score
I can't take it any more. Every year the Mrs. loads the porch up with pumkins only to be thrown away after holloween.

I'm thinking about makeing a wine this time with them instead. I'll salt and bake the seeds to make punkin seeds.

I've reserched some recipies, but wanted to know more about a few things.

Why does some recipies use:

White Raisins?

Cloves~what are they? Is it the same stuff you may use to bake a ham?

Cinnanmon Sticks ?

@Mods I think I started this thread in the wrong section. Please remove and place it in the correct location thanks.

Last edited:
I moved your thread for you.

Cloves and cinnamon sticks are to add a spice to it. Think pumpkin pie or apple pie - they have spices added to them.

Just be careful - spices go along way.. Cloves can overpower your wine and aroma.

I got some going right now. Yes the cloves are what is used when baking a ham, and it's true that a little goes a very long way. Also, my recipe called for 3 cinnamon sticks per 3 gallons, I cut that down to 2 per.

Whats odd about mine is that I have 2, 3 gallon batches going at the moment but one is feminting slightly faster than the other. They are both at the same temperature (74 degree F) but for whatever reason they are going at different rates.

I hope yours goes well.

I moved your thread for you.

Cloves and cinnamon sticks are to add a spice to it. Think pumpkin pie or apple pie - they have spices added to them.

Just be careful - spices go along way.. Cloves can overpower your wine and aroma.

Thanks for moving the thread. OK so I'll make sure to not use much clove. If it's going to taste like a pumpkin pie, then I may as well add some nutmeg as well or instead of clove. I don't like the taste of cloves on ham, which is why I asked.

I got some going right now. Yes the cloves are what is used when baking a ham, and it's true that a little goes a very long way. Also, my recipe called for 3 cinnamon sticks per 3 gallons, I cut that down to 2 per.

Whats odd about mine is that I have 2, 3 gallon batches going at the moment but one is feminting slightly faster than the other. They are both at the same temperature (74 degree F) but for whatever reason they are going at different rates.

I hope yours goes well.
Maybe one batch has more yeast or sugar than the other is all. Check the SG of them to determine.

Last edited:
I added a pinch of cloves for a 6 gallon batch.

I used cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, ginger 1/2 tsp per 6 gallons.

I left it in the primary for about 2-3 days and pulled the spices out...

I added a pinch of cloves for a 6 gallon batch.
I used cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, ginger 1/2 tsp per 6 gallons.
I left it in the primary for about 2-3 days and pulled the spices out...
Ok now this seems to me, that it would taste better than just cloves. I'll try it this way when the time comes. I'm not sure I want to make so much, in case I don't like it. I'm only looking to make a gallon.

What about the addition of white raisins as well for body?

Be sure not to use pumpkins that are "past prime" and shrinking from sitting on the porch. Also, the small "pie pumpkins" have more flavor and are preferred for wine. The squashes, such as hubbard, butternut and buttercup are preferrable to the standard old "jack-o-lantern" style due to better flavor.

I've had mulled pumpkin wine that was pretty good. It takes quite a while to become "good". Patience is needed! LOL

Debbie

Be sure not to use pumpkins that are "past prime" and shrinking from sitting on the porch. Also, the small "pie pumpkins" have more flavor and are preferred for wine. The squashes, such as hubbard, butternut and buttercup are preferrable to the standard old "jack-o-lantern" style due to better flavor.

I've had mulled pumpkin wine that was pretty good. It takes quite a while to become "good". Patience is needed! LOL

Debbie
Thanks I will keep this in mind.

Well I went ahead baked and ate the pumkin seeds. Now I have 2 gal pumkin wine in secondary degassed, fined and clearing.

DSC00462a_zps978d5f7d.jpg
:HB

Back