progress on my first wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devin

Junior
Reaction score
I have a total of 5 Small batches, 3 of them are hooch done the old fashioned way with welchs essential juices, for me being a couponer I have less than 2 dollars in all 3 juices and sugar costed 89 cent, I had the bakers pizza yeast. They are.on day 6, had no airlocks so did the loosened cap method. One was sluggish and I.thought it had failed but it has picked up.and is fermenting good now. The other other 2, yeast has been going nuts since the first day. We smelled and the aroma than hit first is the alcohol followed by flavors, I have a feeling the orange/pineapple/apple is going to be my favourite. The slower one has the sulfur like smell like I have read that is normal at first. The other 2 batches are in 1 gallon jugs I got at beer and wine hobby international with airlocks. One is cider made from apple juice, the other is mead. I love the smell coming from the mead, the cider one I forgot to smell today but it has a tart smell, which I would want my cider kind of tart. The cider is day 5, mead is day 3. I used champagne yeast in those. I haven't read about anyone using the fleishmans pizza active yeast before but its all I had when I decided to try but that yeast is going nuts, the sluggish one, I had thought it died but it was like it woke up from playing possum or something. Will update as we go in the process and tasting will be done next Friday night for the two week mark. Forgot to mention, raisins used for yeast nutrient in the mead.

devin said:
I have a total of 5 Small batches, 3 of them are hooch done the old fashioned way with welchs essential juices, for me being a couponer I have less than 2 dollars in all 3 juices and sugar costed 89 cent, I had the bakers pizza yeast. They are.on day 6, had no airlocks so did the loosened cap method. One was sluggish and I.thought it had failed but it has picked up.and is fermenting good now. The other other 2, yeast has been going nuts since the first day. We smelled and the aroma than hit first is the alcohol followed by flavors, I have a feeling the orange/pineapple/apple is going to be my favourite. The slower one has the sulfur like smell like I have read that is normal at first. The other 2 batches are in 1 gallon jugs I got at beer and wine hobby international with airlocks. One is cider made from apple juice, the other is mead. I love the smell coming from the mead, the cider one I forgot to smell today but it has a tart smell, which I would want my cider kind of tart. The cider is day 5, mead is day 3. I used champagne yeast in those. I haven't read about anyone using the fleishmans pizza active yeast before but its all I had when I decided to try but that yeast is going nuts, the sluggish one, I had thought it died but it was like it woke up from playing possum or something. Will update as we go in the process and tasting will be done next Friday night for the two week mark. Forgot to mention, raisins used for yeast nutrient in the mead.

The only thing I see is the bread yeast might not give you the best taste or alcohol you are looking for. Wine yeast only costs a $1 or so, get some for your next batches.

I agree with devin, but would also like to add a few comments...

Although very close genetically, bread yeast is not the same as wine yeast. Bread yeast has been cultivated to leaven bread and not ferment wine. The characteristics of the yeast is such that it is very fast acting, it "proofs" dough in just a matter of hours, then is killed off when baked in the oven. For wine, you need something a little different in order to get the best results. You need a yeast that has been cultivated over the centuries to be slow, steady, and resistant to breakdown (which in most cases produces that icky "rotten egg" smell). Also, wine yeast has been cultivated to bring flavor components to the party.

Devin is correct in that a packet of good, quality wine yeast is only about $1. They are also very obtainable just about anywhere in the country.

You do not mention the use of any yeast neutriant. At a minimum, I would recommend that you begin using some.

My rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for. This is not to say that can't end up with something drinkable with what you are doing. All I am saying is that if you spend money on ingredients, and it turns out to be undrinkable, then you just spent money on something destined for the sink. By spending just a little more money, you set yourself up for the best chance at success and will avoid eventual pitfalls. Believe me, you want to stay away from the pitfalls!

Sorry to be so long winded. It is just that I hate to see a winemaker end up being discouraged. Please take my advise and spend just that little bit extra and set yourself up for success.

Thanks both, I had forgotten to mention the yeast nutrient in the mead batches, I had just done the hooch batches before I found the homebrew supply near my town. I have time to get the sorbate before the hooch finishes, despite only having pizza yeast for those batches, I may have to halt the yeast in those because the alcohol level is very strong smelling already, looking at around 20 percent apv. Champagne yeast was used in the two batches that were started after I went to.the supply store.

Thanks both, I had forgotten to mention the yeast nutrient in the mead batches, I had just done the hooch batches before I found the homebrew supply near my town. I have time to get the sorbate before the hooch finishes, despite only having pizza yeast for those batches, I may have to halt the yeast in those because the alcohol level is very strong smelling already, looking at around 20 percent apv. Champagne yeast was used in the two batches that were started after I went to.the supply store.

Not likely. The max apv you can achieve (through natural fermentation) is 18%.

I have racked the first two batches because the smell and taste are strong as far as alcohol and have a great taste. They taste alot better than the store bought wine I had this weekend.

I picked up a vinometer today so I could measure what I had already racked, its measuring 17 percent which is stronger than I thought using pizza yeast and measuring on day 10. I am.glad to find specialty yeast and supplies within 5 minutes of my house. Will update on the cider and mead as it progresses.

Keep in mind a vinometer is very inaccurate. It is not possible to tell the alcohol to any accuracy at all if the wine is not completely dry (no sugar).

Latest posts

Back