Programming the start of my first strawberry wine...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked off the gross lees and there's still LOTS of sediment in the new 3gal carboy, maybe like over 1/2 gallon.....wow this is a lot.

I checked SG and it was more like 1.010

My plan is to let it settle for a couple weeks and then rack/stabilize and back sweeten. Any suggestions?

Racked off the gross lees and there's still LOTS of sediment in the new 3gal carboy, maybe like over 1/2 gallon.....wow this is a lot.

I checked SG and it was more like 1.010

My plan is to let it settle for a couple weeks and then rack/stabilize and back sweeten. Any suggestions?

One comment, slow down. Good strawberry wine will need to age at least 6-8 months and a full year is even better. Rack every so often.

Do not backsweeten and add sorbate until it's ready to bottle--which is 1 year from now. You cannot add sorbate to cloudy wine.

I will then rack again and add sulfite in a week or so when I know for sure that the fermentation is done; and then leave alone for bulk aging.

Last edited:
Do not backsweeten and add sorbate until it's ready to bottle--which is 1 year from now. You cannot add sorbate to cloudy wine.

I want to rack this wine today but this 3gal batch has lots of sediment, maybe around 3/4 of a gallon....sigh

I will have to use 1gal jugs....grrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Did you squeeze the bag hard? WVMJ

yes, very hard. I ended up with 2 1/2 gallons and a little let over that I put in a 375ml bottle to dring tomorrow (I will add a bit of sugar and down it goes..)

I also added less than 1/4tsp sulfite and stirred well, then racked into the jugs....will leave in them for some time.

Didnt we tell you somewhere along the line NOT to squeeze the bags to hard or you would get lots of sediment in a strawberry. Firm to get the juice out, when it starts to get cloudy stop, no gorrilla squeezing the bag or you will be sorry, like now. Dont let it set to long on the lees, when it settles out rack again. WVMJ

I was wondering has anyone ever tried making a straight strawberry wine with strawberries from the frozen food section? I was in between jobs and missed out on the harvest this year and was thinking this might be a good alternative.

Hi,

I'm making my first straight strawberry 2 gallon batch now. Primary fermentation started, pitched last night after adjusting acids.

Original SG: 1.075
Tartaric Acids: 0.60%
Yeast: EC 1118

Additions:

Tannin
Energizer
Nutrient
Kmeta
Pectic enzyme
Acid blend
No toast: French white oak chips
Medium Toast: French white oak chips

We will see how this turns out. Who knows.....

That wasn't a good post:

7lbs Straws, washed, cut, frozen for a week.

Simple sugar solution, 4lbs and water: 2 parts sugar, 1 part water

Boiled 2Tbs, un toasted French white oak chips, and 1Tbs medium toast French white oak chips for 15 minutes

Dry Ingriedients:

0.9 grams Wine Tannin
2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp energizer
1 tsp pectic enzyme
0.54 grams Kmeta

Water sanitized primary to about 1.5 gallons

Add simple sugar solution until SG is 1.075

Add all the dry ingredients, and the boiled oak chips and it's water. Yes it looked brown, no worries. Stir it good

Put the berries in a five gallon nylon paint strainer bag, tie a good not. Drop it in the primary, and work some liquid into the bag.

Put a brew belt on, optional, and let it sit for two days.

After the wait, test and adjust acids to 0.60% With acid blend.

Once it's zeroed in, pitch a fresh pack of EC 1118.

Cover loosely with lid, cover the primary with a towel and let the yeast work.

It's been 24hrs after pitching:

Room temp: 73 F
Must temp: 72 F

Squeezed the bag of fruit, stirred it pretty good, and took a SG

1.050 Now, that's a drop of 0.025.....so far so good. I'm drinking the sample now....ImageUploadedByWine Making1410397818.074149.jpg
Tastes like a wine cooler but sweeter!! Anyway, just thought I would share.

Forgot to add....water the primary to about 2.25 gallons right before putting the bag of berries in. This will get you close to two gallons of finished product when you get to bottling.

Racked this wine finally, was sitting in 2 1gal jugs and a 1/2 jug.
Cleared nicely after 6 months and nice strawberry smell..!!

Around 2 1/4 gallons.
Added 1/8 tsp kmeta and shy of 1tsp sorbate.

Stirring really well and there seems to be lots of CO2/foam.

Will back sweeten with simple syrup (sugar boiled in water) and then bottle later.

Back