Primary to Seconday really fast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterof

Reaction score
So nine days ago I started a new Merlot batch from Vintners Reserve
Did every thing I normally do.
It started at 1.10 SG which is a little higher than what I am used to seeing
Six days later I checked the SG and it was already at .998.
Temperature was maintained between 74 and 78.
So I racked from primary to secondary. Today I checked the SG and it is
at .990. At this point is there any reason not to stabilize the wine for the next fourteen days and rack to storage. ?

I added 5 lbs of sugar to my Watermelon wave (watermelon white merlot) and it went from S.G. 1.093 to .990 in 8 days! I believe it has more to do with the temp than anything else. Georgia in the spring :) Fermentation to dry in about a week is not uncommon at all. You are good to go!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Probably no reason not to. Let me ask: How many days has it been in secondary and how many days has it been at 0.990?

It has been in secondary four days now last two days sitting at .990
although I would swear it might have moved to .989 but my eyes are not that
good anymore and the hydro is not that well marked, but I think is has moved

If you don't plan to backsweeten it, I'm not sure there's any reason to sorbate it (assuming you mean sorbate when you say stabilize.) This wine should have plenty of alcohol to preserve it and a dearth of sugar for the yeast to restart. But sorbate is like a guarantee or peace of mind. Others may have different opinions.

I just looked up the sg's on a chart. This wine should be around 15%, plenty of alcohol to preserve it. Have you tasted it? I like dry, hot wine, have made some in the 18% range, but it's hard to drink. Most people won't drink it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back