RJ Spagnols Primary Fermenting / Stirring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colorado_wade

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

When making kits do you guys/gals ever stir during primary fermentation, or do you just put the lid on after pitching the yeast, and wait until fermentation is done before you remove the lid?

Cheers!
Wade

I generally give it a gentle stir everyday day or two. I just like to keep things in suspension. It may not really matter though if you don't have a grape pack. If there is a pack then pushing it down and stirring every day is recommended to make sure that all of the grape material is kept wet, exposed to the yeast and to make sure that all the sugars are consumed.

In kits without a grape pack, I stir daily for the first 3-4 days to ensure complete fermentation. When a grape pack is involved, I stir and squeeze the grape pack (with sanitized hands of course) at LEAST once a day for the first 3-4 days to be sure all the fermentables are released and available for the yeast. Always seems to work out well.

Crap!! This is day 3, and I haven't stirred yet, and there is a grape pack. DOHHH!

Thanks for the advice!

Wade

By "just put the lid on after pitching the yeast" do you mean snapped down and air locked or lid just loosely sitting on top of the bucket?

For me it depends on kit directions. If the directions call for stirring or punching down I certainly will do so.

Just an analogy ,, Most recipes tell the chef to stir the pot as ingredients are cooking (fermenting). Then cover and let set/simmer (age)!!!

Latest posts

Back