pressing white grapes in a press that has been used for reds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenns

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. Has anyone had any experience with using a press that has been used on reds for doing a white wine. We are heading out to pick some barossa chardonnay on the weekend and our press has previously been used for reds. It was 12 month ago when we did the last vintage but I am concerned the press might taint the clarity of the wine? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Glenns, I assume you are tlaking about a basket press. Can you fit the basket part into a large sink or tub with lots of hot water? I would do so and scrub it with a clean and sanitized scrub brush. See if any color comes out when you do this. If it does, you may get a slight tint to the Chardonnay. If the press was cleaned after the last use, I would think any coloration would be minimal.

Thanks for the tips. Yes I am down under, Barossa Valley is about an hour north east of Adelaide in South Australia. Known for its premium Chardonnay's and Shiraz.

I would say that as long as its been cleaned you should be fine, its the skins themselves that add the color to the wine, not the juice---so i wouldn't expect any residual coloring, unless of course you're a slob and never wash anything

Latest posts

Back