preserving wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessman

Junior
Reaction score
what is the amout of Potassium Metabulsifate that is nessary to keep wine...I have heard 1 teasp.per 6 gallon and 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallon....is to much harmful to you?

If you are making wine from kits you only need to add the amount ofpotassium metabisulphite that comes with the kit to protect your wine.

I have just recently started to test my wine and adjust the amount of sulfite according to how long I want to age it. The sulfite or free SO2diminishes over time and loses it's ability to protect the wine from oxidation.

A sulfite level of 35-50 PPM will protect your wine for at least 2 years under the correct conditions. Correct conditions is the key to this...this is why most commercial wines are sulfited at a higher level because the conditions of the wine sitting on a shelf at the package storeis less than favorable.

You should follow the instructions on the package of meta to know how much to add. I checked the 2 bottles I have and one says 1/8 teaspoons per gallon will give you 150 ppm free SO2 and the other says 1/8 teaspoon per gallon will give you 100 ppm!

Not sure if too much will hurt you but it will certainly ruin your wine!

Please check this post and these charts will help:

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1 52&PN=1Edited by: masta

I use half the maximum when I age my wines, which works out to 1/16th tsp. per gallon or 3/8 tsp per 6-gallon carboy. Be careful you definately can over sulfite a wine and ruin it.

then with this info I potentially ruined a batch of white zin.....I added 1 tsp. going to bottle tomorrow, will check it out for tashe I guess. such great and prompt info

It usually tastes kind of salty/bitter if you've added too much.

If you added to much, stir, stir, stir, stir, wait a little, stir, stir, and stir again. Don't worry too much about it - you've found this forum and we are more than happy to walk you through it.
smiley1.gif

Martina

Could there be varying strengths of K-Meta. depending on manufacturers?

I have also ruined wine before with too much K or Na Meta.

The funny thing is the two bottles I have are both K-Meta from Crosby and Baker
smiley5.gif

I use campden tablets one per gallon, that's the same thing isn't it
smiley25.gif
I think I read it was about 75 ppm

Yes from what I have read..camden is potassium metabisulphite

I buy from both Crosby and Baker and LD Carlson. Most of the time they both use plastic bottles for their chemicals, but sometimes they show up in little ziploc bags or just plastic wrappers. I am sure they buy this from mutliple sources, so the packaging might be different from time to time.

In addition, Crosby's smallest size is different from LD's. One may be an ounce, while the other is 1.5 ounces. Don't ask me why!

Stinkie, yes I would use campden tablets, 1 per gallon when preparing must and when stabilizing the wine. I would not use more than that, usless you plan on bulk aging the wine for a year. Be sure you get the campden pulverized well and then mix up in a blender with a little must or wine before adding. You can do the sorbate at the same time when stabilizing. You can mix several ingredients at the same time with the blender when preparing musts.

If you are using KMBS there is a simple formula to follow.

ie. If you have 5 gallons and you want an SO2(free) of 35ppm then the following formula would apply: .035x3.8x5gal. all divided by 0.576 which gives you 1.15 grams to add. I have used this formula for 15 years and its always been true. Its best to keep your wines around 25-35 ppm during aging and shot for an SO2 of about 32-35 when bottling. Of course pH can be a factor in your additions if it is out of whack. SO2 needs to be checked at theleast, every other month. SO2 will bind up eventually, depending on the wine, and eventually you will not have protection.
smiley19.gif

Welcome to the forum, ORwino! You sound like you might know a thang or 2 about this hobby, and we need you here!

smiley20.gif

Yes, Welcome, ORwino. We can always use another experienced hand. Glad to have your participation.

Masta does the hard part, running the forum. I do the easy stuff, running the business. If you ever have any questions, please contact either one of us.

Back