WineXpert port wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madnurse

Junior
Reaction score
I am in the process of a WE Port Kit. I have bought a couple bottles of Taylor Port (1 Port, 1 Tawney Port) My wife likes the Port, which seems to be a little on the sweet side; and I like the flavor of the Tawney Port, which seems to be a tad on the dry side. 1st - Anyone know how the WE will taste? (I plan to follow the instructions as written) 2nd - How would I alter the taste to make it one way or the other. I know this sounds confusing. (I'm confused just trying to read what I typed).
smiley5.gif

There really is no instructions for making a dry Port. My recommendations for this would be to split it into 2 or 3 batches and not add the extra sugar for the dry Port(yours) and add some to the sweet port(wife). By doing this yours will ferment dry and your wifes with the extra sugar will keep fermenting till the yeast strain is overwhelmed by the abv. You will have to divide the sugar up into what you have divided your batch into to do this and save the rest or throw it out.

madnurse, I have made a couple of these kits and they both turned out pretty good made as per the instructions. Not going to be close to a Taylor Fladgate 10 year old tawny but still pretty decent. Gets better if you can let it age for at leat a year too.

Wade

Already added the sugar (probably should have posted earlier). Will the addition of some brandy make any difference? Also, the fermentation has really started to slow down after adding the sugar (have to use the heating pad to get it bubbling). Without the heating pad it is ~70*. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

Did you stir it up per the instructions? I encountered this with the Choc. Rasp. Port. It never made it down to where it was supposed to but i do like my ports sweet so it didnt matter. The temp is fine and i believe your yeast strain is almost as far as it can go and thats why they end up with a higher SG. My Port stopped at 1.018 before adding the F-pack. Im pretty sure your ending SG is supposed to be within 1.010 - 1.020. The heating pad is not going to help this situation its all in the hands of what your yeast strain can do.

Latest posts

Back