Port Wine Kit Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guckles

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
It seems I've caught the port bug and think that a port kit will be the next I start. (It's also a good excuse for getting another carboy since most kits I've seen are 3 gals! :D )

Does anyone have any suggestions they've had good experiences with? I've heard the Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port is good, but thought I'd check for other suggestions.

I've seen some good recipes for port, most notably Wade's Strawberry Chocolate, but I haven't yet made a wine from fruit. I figured I'd start on something simpler for my first fruit wine attempt.

My first batch ever was Wine Expert Selection Port. I made it in January, bottled in March and it was really good (compared to a $20 bottle) in April. I am sure it will only get better at the end of the year.

My local brew store said he tried samples of the Diamanti kit and said they were one of the best ports he's had. I have their Dark Chocolate Orange port but haven't started it yet.

I made a double batch of the Mosti La Bodega Port. Started back in November. The wine by itself was tasted back in early May and it was the best tasting wine I have ever made. I fortified with Brandy shortly after that and its melding in a 5 gallon and 3 gallon Carboy still. I did a little carboy sample this past weekend and it could be bottled and served right now. It was in short amazing. I am so glad I made a double batch. Its not cheap but I waited until it was on sale and pulled the trigger then.

From everything I've read, the Bodega is the best ( non-flavoured) port kit out there. Mosti kits are not normally stocked locally so I haven't seen nor tasted this kit, but the online reviews have been all positive.

George at finevinewines is carrying several ports. One I just saw today is an apple port. Sounds good, but I have never tried it.

I made the WE choc. raspberry port for my wife. She loves the stuff; I would like it better without the raspberry. I have never cared for raspbery in anything.

Our friends all seem to like it, also. Mine is about 8 months old and still in the carboy. Many say it gets really good after about 2 years.

Latest posts

Back