WineXpert Port Wine and Brandy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
I just came back from <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region>, I visited a winery and I tasted <st1:place><st1:placeName>there</st1:placeName> <st1:place>Port</st1:place></st1:place> blend with Brandy (I Love It). It is a 20 % Alcoohl.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I am making a Port wine Cellar Master, I got a Brandy Bottle. My question is How much Brandy do I put in the Port. Somebody told me to mix it before bottleling.

Casper,

You just need to know the ABV of your port and the brandy to be added. Using the link below go to calculations section and on the adjusted alcohol line plug in your numbers.

For example12 Liters of Port (14% ABV) fortified with 1 Liter of Brandy (80% ABV) brings the ABV up to ~19%.

http://www.honeycreek.us/conversion.htm

And yes you would want to add the brandy just before bottling.

Actually that is how the great ports are made. They take part of the grapes and make brandy with them. Then they add the brandy to the port wine just before bottling. The important thing here is that the brandy comes from the same grapes as the wine, so they blend very well.

When blending your own, you may not be so lucky to get the match for which you are looking. I would suggest trying different brandies to find the best match.

Any way you can find out the varietal of grapes used to make the kits George

Back