Pop sound

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
So, as you all know, I've been drinking my first wine that past few weeks.

I notice that when the cork comes out, I do not get that same volume "pop" sound that happens when I uncork a commercial wine.

Any idea why not?

I used #9 1.5-inch First Quality agglomerate corks and left about 1.75 to 2 inches of headspace in the bottles (too much, but that's another story
smiley1.gif
)

I'm no cork popping sound expert, but I think the extra headspace there would dull the pop- less pressure because of more room. I find different corks also come out differently and get differnet pops. If it bothers you too much, get a friend to stand behind you and as you pull the cork, they can stick their finger in their cheek and make the popping sound you made as a kid
smiley36.gif

most commercial wineries also bottle under vacuum, which can help contribute to that *POP* as air goes rushing into the bottle. Most wineries also use 1.75" full natural cork or synthetic corks, which can also help contribute to sound. Agglomerates seem to cork better with our non-commercial equipment. Compressing natural cork is hard to do, and typically, only the strong brass jaw italian floor corker and do it properly. Natural corks of that level are also about $0.75 per cork when you buy in quantities of less than 5000.

Latest posts

Back