Plum wine 1.090 to 1.010 in 2.5 days!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadman77

Reaction score
Hi again,
So I decided to check my plum wine today and after 2.5 days the specific gravity is 1.010. I decided I had no choice but to rack it. Unfortunately it has been very hot here that last couple of days - 30 degree Celsius (86 f) which may explain the rapid fermentation. I am really concerned that this has doomed my wine to failure. After straining the pulp, I ended up having to add 6L (1.6 gallon) of water to make it up to 15 gallons to avoid headspace in my demijohn. I did start with 103lb of fruit which is probably an ok ratio but not ideal to have to do this and also concerned that fruit was not in contact with the must for long enough with the fast fermentation. It tastes VERY acidic at this point. I got my pH meter today so tested the pH after calibrating the meter - it was 3.28. The yeast (K1V-1116) seems to be still very active as the airlock is going pretty hard.

Should I add more sugar now that i've added more water? SG was 1.090 as mentioned earlier. I was on the road to reaching 12% but now thinking that i'll be looking at about 10.6% unless I add more sugar. Maybe about 1 lb or so?

Any other advice?

Only add more sugar if you want the alcohol content over 12%.

Steve

Latest posts

Back