Plum Recipe for Plums?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My uncle has a yellow plum tree and I just harvested 30lbs. Would the recipe for yellow plums be the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I believe it would be the same except use white grape concentrate instead of red.

Thanks Lori. I just wondered if anyone here has done one and how it was.

Plum wine is good. The type of plum does affect the finel flavor. If you like the fresh plum you will like the wine. I have just used the standered fruit recipie. 3-4 pounds per galleon. More is good too:). I can look up what I did if you want spacific details.
Personally I like the dark red plums the best.

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Unfortunately I have not made plum, but am very interested to see how yours comes out :) WOTM?
Lol.I think I'll be making more than 1 gal.Is that still do-able on wotm?(I've been so bad with my updates on previous ones I'm surprised to be asked for more )
QUOTE=jensmith;526122]Plum wine is good. The type of plum does affect the finel flavor. If you like the fresh plum you will like the wine. I have just used the standered fruit recipie. 3-4 pounds per galleon. More is good too:). I can look up what I did if you want spacific details.
Personally I like the dark red plums the best.
Thanks.I'd be interested in seeing what you did

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making[/QUOTE]

:? Sorry.Don't know what happened to that multi quote.New tablet from daughter for b-day and still trying to get used to it :)

Lol, too funny Kim! Of course we want you in the WOTM! I'm all about experimenting :)

The yellow plums make a great wine. And we've found that the Japanese plum has more flavor than American plum.

Vernsgal--you might like to try this the way we do it. Plums have a delicate flavor so we use no water. Pit and freeze them for 24 hrs. as this will release alot of juice. A good pectic enzyme like Lallzyme C-Max works great on this pulpy fruit and aids in clearing. You might want to bentonite the primary on the 2nd or 3rd day of the ferment---plum can be hard to clear, otherwise.

I have one gallon of plum wine going right now. Found 4-5 plum trees a bit late but got 6-7 lbs and started a batch. This is my first attempt to do plum this is what I did
5lbs plums,2c sugar,1/3 c golden raisins,white grape juice.had an OG of 1.075,used K1-V1116 yeast,and just racked into secondary.So far everything seems to be going ok.

The best plum wine I made was a bit of a leftover mess, but very tasty!
Simmered/Steamed 7-8 pounds of dead ripe pitted dark red plums. With a white peach and a necterine tossed in just to use them up. About 5 cups of water were used. 1.2# dextrose and 12 oz of dark agave nector.
This gave me 14 cups of juice. I was in a hurry so added 8 ice cubes and half a cup of cold water. Added another 1.5 cups raw suger to get the sg to 1.101.
1/2 tsp peptic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutriant
Fruit was bagged and left in for a week befor taking out.

At this point my mixed fruit wine was foaming out of its bucket, so instead of yeast I added six cups of that. I had used lavin 1116 yeast and it was heavy in the plums as well.

Normel wine making from here on as to racking ect. By month two it was crystal clear. Bottled it four months after starting it. Two years later I drank the last bottle. It had no sedament in the bottle and was still very good:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

The yellow plums make a great wine. And we've found that the Japanese plum has more flavor than American plum.

Vernsgal--you might like to try this the way we do it. Plums have a delicate flavor so we use no water. Pit and freeze them for 24 hrs. as this will release alot of juice. A good pectic enzyme like Lallzyme C-Max works great on this pulpy fruit and aids in clearing. You might want to bentonite the primary on the 2nd or 3rd day of the ferment---plum can be hard to clear, otherwise.
Turock I'm glad you mentioned the Japanese Plum being good. That's what we have growing here so hopefully I get a gal or 2 every year.
Your steps sound about the same as when you walked me through my blackberry wine. I'll post an update on that one ( if I can find my thread lol)because I just opened my 1st bottle. Yum!

Thanks everyone else for your inputs. I destoned the plums (they're red)ended up with about 35 lbs and froze them today.I have to go to Calgary next week so I figured I'd be safer to wait til I got back to start. I will post what I'm doing ,hopefully, on the Sept. WOTM link.

20140903_144807.jpg

I've been wondering about your blackberry and how it turned out.

I'm steam juicing italian plums over the next few days (harvesting as I juice). Planning on freezing the juice if I'm not fermenting by Monday (as even though steaming is pasteurizing, I don't want any of the juice to go bad). I've done plum every year I've lived in this house, and its usually ok to good (the best was a port made with plums, Syrah syrup, and brandy), so this year I'm going a more traditional route: juicing all the plums, figuring the steam will add liquid, and NOT adding water, other than to top up/balance sg. So basically I'm trying to steam about 5 gallons worth. Fun, but we're in a heat wave, so I don't expect my house to cool down. Like, at all...

I also like the steam juicer as I can use plums I would normally dump (fell to the ground, larvae spots, etc) since as long as I can hand "wash" them first, no nasty stuff will end up in the wine. New experiment (though I'm sure folks have done it before, I mean new to me), so fingers crossed I don't waste a tree's worth of plums!

EDIT TO ADD: just finished tonight's batch. It's a BEAUTIFUL color, the best must I've made from yard fruit ever. Tastes nice too; I figure I just need to experiment with ph and sg and I should be able to pull off an all-plum wine. (edit again because I forgot that the forum's smiley is laughing for some reason)

Last edited:
I moved it to secondary a couple nights ago; I MAY have left it in primary a little too long, but it also fermented close to dry (normal SG for racking to secondary, but I was away for a day and am not sure if it sat with too much air or not; no visual signs of oxidization though). The color is good and the airlock is bubbling away, so I'm crossing my fingers.

It is a bit too dry though, I was thinking of racking again onto some prunes.

Latest posts

Back