plants in my wine making rm????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunwolf

Reaction score
my wife asked about what is bubbling out of my airlocks, once I told her it was basically carbon dioxide gas she wants to move some of her plants in the room. Good Idea? Bad Idea?

I just like a clean sanitary room and I am thinking that plants and dirt are not the way to go. anyone have plants in their room?

Might get a few small bugs from the plants. If you can handle that threat, I don't know what plants would hurt. Just make sure you always keep the fermenter covered such that any fruit flies can't get into your fermenting wine.

yeh everything is covered..I have/had a fruit fly problem recently, so I upgraded all my airlocks and the new ones have a cap, and my primary buckets are also locked up with lids/airlocks. I have several homemade fruit fly traps, and have caught most of them.

yeh everything is covered..I have/had a fruit fly problem recently, so I upgraded all my airlocks and the new ones have a cap, and my primary buckets are also locked up with lids/airlocks. I have several homemade fruit fly traps, and have caught most of them.

Sounds like you are good to go.

Certainly doesn't hurt anything to get the wife happy, either! :try

Plants need light. Wine in carboys don't. Plants need warmth. Wine in carboys don't.

GW, you need to have her come to the decision to remove the plants herself. Get you some "Round Up" and, sad as it may be, some have to be sacrificed so that the wine might survive. You could attribute it to "CO2 poisoning." Just buy her a new plant to replace the "sacrificee" and problem solved. ::

Tell her to get her own room. :::::: LOL

:) we just moved into our new house last month and there was already a finished rm in the basement ...my wine supplies were stacked up inside the door before she got a chance to claim it!

my wife asked about what is bubbling out of my airlocks, once I told her it was basically carbon dioxide gas she wants to move some of her plants in the room. Good Idea? Bad Idea?

I just like a clean sanitary room and I am thinking that plants and dirt are not the way to go. anyone have plants in their room?

Plants and fermentation work well together. People who grow plants indoors are now buying turbo yeast to use in their artificial grow light rooms.
As long as the wine is in the secondary under airlock there won't be any insect infestation. Just keep the carboys shielded from any light and every thing should be fine.
Here is a link to show the various methods people use to increase the CO2 for their plants. http://www.hydrofarm.com/articles/co2_enrichment.php

Plants and fermentation work well together. People who grow plants indoors are now buying turbo yeast to use in their artificial grow light rooms.
As long as the wine is in the secondary under airlock there won't be any insect infestation. Just keep the carboys shielded from any light and every thing should be fine.
Here is a link to show the various methods people use to increase the CO2 for their plants. http://www.hydrofarm.com/articles/co2_enrichment.php

What this guy said ;) There's nothing wrong with having the plants in there -- you'll find that they will not only thrive due to the added CO2, but that they will also freshen up the air in your wine room. Of course there is always a chance of insects getting in the area by way of hitching a ride on the plants, but it's just as likely that you'll get insects by any other method. Proper sanitation will limit these pests, just as one currently would without fermenting carboys/containers in the room.

Latest posts

Back