Pitched yeast to early?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skor

Reaction score
Was making a blueberry port and pitch the yest right away, well i messed up and the water was way to cold didnt notice that till a day later so i have been trying to keep it in a warm room to bring the temp back up, will the yeast start up even a few days after sitting in colder water, i have noticed there is still no fermentation going on. Any tips?

It's hard to answer without knowing what way to cold is. Different yeast have different temp ranges. And some yeast are very hard to tell if fermentation is going on without hydrometer readings, when the temp is in the low range. This is because the fermentation will be slower at a lower temp.

That said, if it doesn't start on it's own and once the must is up around 70°, I'd make a starter (One packet of yeast, a pinch of nutrient, 2 tablespoons sugar, in 1/2 cup of lukewarm water in quart jar). After yeast gets started then slowly add some of the must (about 1/2 cup) and keep doing this every 15 to 30 minutes until the quart jar is about full, then add it all to the must. Oh, don't seal the jar just cover with a clean cloth.

Blueberry can be picky if the acidity and nutrients are not just right. Follow SBWs's advice on a starter if it doesn't get going soon, that should help.

i put it in the laundry room where it was nice and warm all day i think its finally starting to ferment seeing little bubbles on top now gonna keep it nice and warm and see what happens next

Back