WineXpert Pino Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldwinger

Reaction score
I have a batch of Pino Grigio that I am getting ready to bottle. I have two questions. I will not batch age because I plan to give away a few bottles for Christmas.

How long should this wine age in the bottle before I drink it?

How long will it keep in the bottles after it is bottled?

You would have to buy a Titrate test and check the free S02 of the winw
which should be 40 ppm. The tester is about $20 and does 10 checks
before you have to replenish supplies.

How did everyone in the old days let there wine age without test kits??? I think sometimes we test to much...I think it is hit or miss some wines will age well and some will not... Actually I learned that from all of you here!

Goldwinger said:
I have a batch of Pino Grigio that I am getting ready to bottle. I have two questions. I will not batch age because I plan to give away a few bottles for Christmas.

How long should this wine age in the bottle before I drink it?

How long will it keep in the bottles after it is bottled?

Is this a kit and if so what brand? If it is a Winexpert kit adding an extra 1/4 tsp or 1.5 grams of k-meta at bottling as per the instructions will protect the wine for up to 5years.

3 months minimum in the bottle before drinking.

bmorosco said:
How did everyone in the old days let there wine age without test kits??? I think sometimes we test to much...I think it is hit or miss some wines will age well and some will not... Actually I learned that from all of you here!

I ask Joesph that same thing Saturday. Something he brought up was that they used sulfur to char the oak barrels, some residue was left over from the process and therefor putting sulfite's into the wine. So in a way your right about testing but some how it worked out right.Edited by: Angell Wine

I agree that as winemakers we can go overboard in our testing, particularly when it comes to testing for free SO2 in the wine. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

The most important thing the winemaker needs to know regarding SO2 is: why is this addition needed and about how much do I need to add to accomplish my goal. Accuracy is not that important, all you need is to be close. Too much SO2 is bad, too little is bad; fortunately there is a large middle ground. After all, we are adjusting something that is measured in parts per million.

Masta had indicated that if you have a kit wine, the addition of ¼ teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite should afford the protection you need. If you are making scratch wines, do some reading, find a process and a source that is reasonable and follow it. If you use Campden tablets because of convenience, know how much SO2 you are adding to your wine. Campden tablets are the least consistent method of adding SO2.

Not only are campden tablets inconsistent, they are alos relatively expensive. The 1lb bags of k-meta are pretty cheap in the online catalog.

I bottled the Pino last night. I got 28 and 1/2 bottles. You can imagine what happened to the half bottle. It was great. It cleared up great and tasted really good. I will have to drink some more this weekend to make sure that it is as good as originally thought it was. Ready to start a new kit. I am waiting on Amarone.

Latest posts

Back