Piniot noir degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biochemist

Reaction score
This is my first batch of kit wine. I have used the degassing paddle on a hand drill several times (at least 6) each for a couple of min with a rest between. I still see some fine bubbles after 30 sec of stirring that sustains after ive stopped.

When is enough enough?

The instructions say to top off with water. Should i use a couple of bottles of wine?

This is my first batch of kit wine. I have used the degassing paddle on a hand drill several times (at least 6) each for a couple of min with a rest between. I still see some fine bubbles after 30 sec of stirring that sustains after ive stopped.

When is enough enough?

The instructions say to top off with water. Should i use a couple of bottles of wine?

On the first question, although it's not possible to remove all the CO2, that's the goal. Thus, I wouldn't stop stirring until you're satisfied you've removed all the CO2 you could. Temperature plays a role and it would be easier to degas when the wine is over 70 degrees.

To test CO2 content, put a cap (or your finger) over a vial of wine and shake it vigorously. You shouldn't see activity and hear only a small pop when opened.

Concerning your topping question, the wine should be sufficient to rack into the new container and you only top off because of the sediment at the bottom that doesn't get transferred. I don't know which kit you're making, but sediment shouldn't be more than 750 ml.

Let us know which kit you're making and where you are in the process. I may be able to guess more closely the amount of top off needed.

Tony P.

Last edited:
Thanks

I like the popped idea for testing. I am surprised at how much it takes to degas this as the instructions only said to stir for two min twice. I used the thief to test and the wine tastes great but the fizz is obvious. I will stir again tonight. I will use a warming blanket to reduce the gas as I stir. I am tempted to use a sonnicator that I have for "sparging" solutions and breaking cell walls of bacteria but that would be cheating.

The kit is a vintner's reserve Pinot. I have a better bottle and it looks like about half a gallon of water would need to go into it.

Thanks

I stir for about 5 minutes with a wine whip and a drill and then use a carboy cap and Vacu vin to pull a vacuum, seems to get that last bit and shows you you are still.

Degassing can be a simple affair with little effort or a grueling event. I've had wine ferment at 75 degrees and the wine degassed by itself. Getting the temperature up will certainly help.

On heading up the wine, I assume you have only 1 1/2 to 2 inches of head space in the carboy at present. If so, a half gallon seems like an extreme amount needed for a Vinters Reserve kit. I suggest you do what you can to minimize the wine loss during racking - even if it means transferring some sediment. Tilt the carboy slowly as you get down to the last gallon or so, leaving only the thickest lees.

The sediment is called fine lees and racking a portion of this sediment will not be detrimental. For me, I'd prefer dealing with some sediment over adding an extra 750 ml or more of water. (I'm expecting comments on this!)

In answer to part of your question, WE kits expect water to be added when the instructions say so and the kit ratio is created on that basis.

Tony P.

Last edited:
There are several reasons to degas a wine. The one of them is to eliminate the fizzy taste.

So, degas, let the wine set a few minutes, then taste it. It is doesn't have that fizz on the end of your tongue, it is degassed.

Degassing works best if the wine temperature is at least 74F. Much below that and it will hold onto the gas.

As far as adding to top up, I used commercial in the beginning. Now that I have a sh*tpot of good home made wines I use them and it's a win win since each one is about 5 bucks and I get to drink it all anyway. Expect I will get comments also..

Good ideas. I am putting the carboy in a warm water bath and will degass there.
Topping. Oops. I left too much in the lees. I will add a bit of water and the rest wine.
Great help. Thanks

Latest posts

Back