"Pinching buds"?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8rx7guy

Reaction score
What exactly is involved with the process of "pinching buds" that I have read with reference to mainting grape vines? I think it means literally pulling off unwanted buds before they grow into vines, but is that OK to do the vines without causing unwanted damage? Is this typically done in the spring time when they buds first show up?

"Pinching buds"?

In the spring the buds will start to swell. If you punch them it will prevent the bus from growing. You can use this method to control you shoots if necessary. It will kit hurt the vine but will kill that bud

In the spring the buds will start to swell. If you punch them it will prevent the bus from growing. You can use this method to control you shoots if necessary. It will kit hurt the vine but will kill that bud

Did you mean to say it will "not" hurt the vine but will kill the bud?

Thanks for the response... when you are pinching the buds, are you actually pulling off the bud material or are you just crushing it and leaving it there? I know this is probably embarassingly stupid questions, but I just want to make sure I do it right!

Back