PH too low?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coboll2921

Reaction score
I made wine from grapes that are a cross between a European and Concord.
I didn't add water or do anything to adjust the acid. I have two 6 gal carboys that are at 3.3 PH. Is this going to be sour in the end when I bottle it? It's 7 months old now and I was going to bottle in about 3 months.
Should I adjust acid now?
My first carboy of this stuff was bottled recently and it was sour (maybe too young). I blended it with my apple wine and it tastes really good but I would like straight up grape on the remainder of the carboys.

That pH is not bad for a hybrid grape. What is the TA? Did you try cold stabilization and/or MLF to help decrease the acid?

One suggestion if the wine is on the acidic side is to balance it with just a touch of sugar. That can help round out the acidity. You may not need much. Maybe just 0.5% to 1% might be enough to balance it. If you do that don't forget the potassium sorbate.

Thanks Greg. I think I might wait the full year of aging and taste it then. Maybe then I'll add a little sugar. 3.3 ph didn't sound like it would be too bad when done but I wasn't sure.

I bottled the first carboy before realizing it was so sour. That batch was at 3.00 ph. I put the bottles in the refrigerator on low and in one bottle the acid crystallized out. It tasted really good, however I had a bottle break and it was a mess. Now I'm blending each bottle that I open with my Apple wine and it's pretty good.

We set the PH on our concord to 3.4 So I would say your PH is just fine. You don't want to get the PH too high or else it can taste kind of flabby. A lite sugar addition will balance the acid out.

Latest posts

Back