PH during bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colariu

Junior
Reaction score
Does PH drop during bulk aging a red wine ( about 1 year old)? My Ph started at 3.65 a year ago and now it is 3.45.

Thanks

Does PH drop during bulk aging a red wine ( about 1 year old)? My Ph started at 3.65 a year ago and now it is 3.45.

Thanks
The pH shouldn’t change much, if at all, during bulk aging, unless your wine goes through MLF. In that case, your pH would actually be expected to increase.
What does decrease during bulk aging, is the amount of CO2 dissolved in your wine, which allows for increasingly accurate pH measurements, as the presence of CO2 in your wine distorts the pH readings. Perhaps you’ve seen the effects of that, as opposed to actual pH changes, do you think this could be the case?

I have seen a few Google references that suggest over years acids will combine with alcohols and reduce the TA. BUT I haven’t seen anything in a food journal that agrees with this.

On my part I have seen titratable acidity of bottled rhubarb wine drop over five years. I would need to go back to the numbers to see if pH was significant.

What does decrease during bulk aging, is the amount of CO2 dissolved in your wine, which allows for increasingly accurate pH measurements, as the presence of CO2 in your wine distorts the pH readings. Perhaps you’ve seen the effects of that, as opposed to actual pH changes, do you think this could be the case?
Dissolved CO2 lowers pH, so when it is released it would raise pH by a little bit. That does not explain why the pH would drop from 3.65 to 3.45.

If it was me, I would begin to wonder if my pH meter was calibrated correctly both times. OTOH a pH of 3.45 is great for a red wine, so if it tastes good I wouldn't worry about it.

Back