PH buffer Solution

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaronh

Reaction score
I got my electronic Ph tester. It came with the batteries but <Insert Twilight Zone Music here> no solution was included.
smiley5.gif
I guess the tester is for a broader range than justwine testing in mind.
<DIV id=ms__id59> I'm going to take a jont down to the collage and have a chat with my old biology instructor and see if i can score some 7 buffer or at least storage solution.
<DIV id=ms__id60> Until then, is there any substitutes for calibrating. My PH papers only read up to 4.0 so I'm pretty shure I'm gonna have to wait longer if I cant remedy this tomorrow. Solution costs as much as the electrode so its gonna sit in its case until further notice.
smiley2.gif

You really don't need much of the solutions for calibrating the pH meters and then you are good to go for quite a while. Get some of the 4.01 solution and the 7.01 solution and you can calibrate it properly for use.

5441 pH Meter Buffer Solution For pH 4.01 (20 ml)$1.99

5440 pH Meter Buffer Solution For pH 7.01 (20 ml)$1.99

Edited by: appleman

Ahh thanks appleman. I thought the price was $12, just looked again and it was 230ml bottlesI was looking at. I was pretty discouraged there for awhile.The smaller packets arearound the same price as you stated.
smiley9.gif
Gonna hit up the teach tomarrowand try save a few days waiten for the mail.. Ty again.

Aaron,

Which electronic tester did you decide to go with? Does anyone else out there use electronic pH testers and if so, which brands?

- Jim

I use a model from Valley Vintner with a replaceable bulb probe. I tried to look online because I don't remember if it is a model pH-013 or model pH-016. I see they have changed models now. It has worked well to this point and was under $90 last year. I feel they are a bit more accurate than the smaller probe type unit. Any one you get is certainly more accurate than the test strips. George offers one or two of the less expensive units -don't remember without looking.

I have the checker 1. It is so much easier then trying to read those stupid papers and color charts. I just calibrated it for the first time after about 3 months. It was off by .08. So it isn't too bad. I did opt for the 230ml bottle of solvent. Those little packets are a pain!

Back