Petit Chocolat Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mizpa

Junior
Reaction score
I'm not much of a wine drinker, I prefer beer! BUT ... a couple of weeks ago, I was passing thru Illinois, and stopped at a friend's home and they offered me a German wine, called Petit Chocolat. It was sweet, creamy, and very chocolaty (if that is a word)! Since I don't spend much time cruising here (other than checking the mead threads once in a while), I was wondering if anyone has recipe(s) for a chocolate wine. Did I mention it was very good? The only ingredients that I could see, were red wine, high grade cream, sugar and chocolate. It was a still wine, not sparkling/carbonated, so I'd guess it was backsweetened after fermentation, but I'd have no knowledge about the cream and chocolate additions' quantities/%'s after the wine was fermented. Any ideas/recipes/advice, etc., would be welcomed.

I found a similar chocolate wine in Tennessse where I was heading to, but it includes Carmine extract - which is made from the body and eggs of a South American insect (Cochineal) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal - No way I want bug blood in my wine - besides that, I'm not sure that would qualify to be Vegan nor Vegetarian if it's used in candies, cookie or cake frostings ..... (I'm neither of those, but they are usually good guidelines, I just don't want bug guts in my food!). This seems to be the main red dye used in many food colorings, so I'm going to avoid that for sure!
TIA,
Mizpa

Back