Persimmon wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winer

Junior
Reaction score
I have been searching for a recipe that uses pulp instead of whole perssimons. I have a LOT of perssimon pulp but recipes I have found thus far call for a certain number of pounds of perssimons...may have to wing it...If I have to guess, I am going to guess that the pulp makes up about 2/3 of the weight of the fruit. These are the american perssimons, not the asian types. Also, does anyone who has made persimmon wine have any tips?

When you say pulp do you mean dried pulp or wet pulp that has had its juice squeezed out or do you mean like a pulp slurry. If its the wet slurry and you have a lot of it why not go for 100% based on the acid levels. You are going to have about 40-50% gunk left over when you rack so if you want to make 5 gallons of wine I would try to ferment like 8 gallons of must or more. We used pasteur champange in ours and it was good but we didnt use enough fruit so the persimmon taste was lighter than I had wanted.

Crackedcork

I have been searching for a recipe that uses pulp instead of whole perssimons. I have a LOT of perssimon pulp but recipes I have found thus far call for a certain number of pounds of perssimons...may have to wing it...If I have to guess, I am going to guess that the pulp makes up about 2/3 of the weight of the fruit. These are the american perssimons, not the asian types. Also, does anyone who has made persimmon wine have any tips?

By pulp, I mean what is pressed out of the persimmons, leaving the seeds and skin behind. I suppose some would call the seeds and skin the pulp. Not at all dry. Has the consistency of pudding. I ended up using 22 cups, or 5.5 quarts, which was about 13 pounds...and enough water to make 4.5 gallons of must. All the recipies I could locate used 3 pounds of whole perssimons per gallon...so I should have more flavor by using about 3 pounds of pulp (or juice) per gallon.

Update: The wine went bad... it was going great the first 3 or 4 days, but I tried to taste it off of the spoon...while I was directly over the bucket, and well, let's just say I contaminated it. It smelled horrible. I started another batch...I used the same amount of "cups" 22...but they weighed a pound and a half less. Anyway, day 5 today and it's chuggin' along nicely. It doesn't have a lot of aroma, probably will want to F-pac.

Its very doubtful that you contaminated it from a spoon, lots of people start their racking tubes with big wet lips. So what kind of smell did you have? Fermentations dont smell like roses :):) Crackedcork

It wasn't from the spoon, it ran out of my mouth. Yes people do rack by putting their lips on the hose (might I add, after the alcohol content is up.) I've made a few batches of wine before this one and they never smelled like sewage. Trust me, it was bad.

Latest posts

Back