Pectic enzyme and yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwonnacot

Reaction score
Could adding pectic enzyme after pitching my yeast prevent fermentation from beginning? I am making a blueberry wine and forgot to add it, realized right after I pitched my yeast so I put it in. I have read a few conflicting things online stating that pectic enzyme and yeast don't do well together. Anyone able to shed light on this?

Last edited:
Could adding pectic enzyme after pitching my east prevent fermentation from beginning? I am making a blueberry wine and forgot to add it, realized right after I pitched my yeast so I put it in. I have read a few conflicting things online stating that pectic enzyme and yeast don't do well together. Anyone able to shed light on this?

PE is added only a day before yeast, so they must be compatible. If the fermentation looks slow going, you can add a bit more Yeast Nutrient to give it a boost.

I try very hard to not add anything but Oxygen and yeast nutrient once the fermentation begins. Pectic enzyme does better if given a chance to begin breaking down pectin before the fermentation starts, however, I do not believe it has a monumental effect on yeast performance, As when the pectin is broken down Some sugars and nutrients are converted to usable form for the yeast.
As I said I do not like to add stuff after fermentation starts. But if I had to I would. I do not think it will hinder activation of the yeast.

Latest posts

Back