pear wine sg ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
Just got roughly 70 lbs of stone pears, winter pears , little pears? very sweet quartered them culled the bad ones roughly 30# per batch , potted and steamed them in a little water ran them through a squeezo strainer which removes most of the skins , seeds, stem bits . leaves you with a apple sauce consistancy, put that in a nylon strainer bag about 2 1/4 gallons in my primary. Heres a recipe I found any advice would be appreciated . Can you get a good sg with all that pulp? i'm thinking of lowering the sugar to get a 1.085-1.095 sg starting point ?

I used 30 # pears

the recipe is for 1 gallon

6 pts water

4 cups sugar

2 1/2 tsp acid blend

2 tsp pectic enzyme

1 tsp yeast nutrient

1 camden tablet ( i'll use 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulfate / 5 gallons)

1 package wine yeast (red star champagne is what I have on hand )

For 1 gallon of wine - 30 #'s of pears sounds a little high?

5-6 #'s of fruit per gallon.

I am assuming you have a hydrometer and acid test kit to get the sugar and acid levels.

SG 1.080 - 1.085 for the peach.

I would use the Lalvin 71B 1122 yeast - it will metabolize the Malic acid present in the pears.

pear wine

I'm making 5 gallons the recipe will be times 5 for the ingredients other than the yeast . pear wine

pear wine

I cut the sugar to 15 cups came up with a sg 1.090 , If my liquid come up short after primary just add water to fill the carboy ? I know alot of the pulp will break down and release pear juice .

adding water will lower ur s.g.
most recommendations for fruits are 1.080.
what about some store bought pear juice instead of water?

adding water will lower ur s.g.
most recommendations for fruits are 1.080.
what about some store bought pear juice instead of water?

Yep. One of the hobby winemakers local to me recommended going 1.075 for pear because it's a delicate flavor. Even then, he does an f-pac.

I can't argue with what comes out of his bottle. :)

ETA: Russ, you might want to consider a steamer-juicer. It really cuts down on the mess and gives you a beautiful juice. I was a skeptic - now I'm a fanatic!

Last edited:
ETA: Russ, you might want to consider a steamer-juicer. It really cuts down on the mess and gives you a beautiful juice. I was a skeptic - now I'm a fanatic!

I resemble that remark..

Just a quick note..

you will probably not need to sweeten if you have used winter nelis pears ( brown skinned).. they have a high level of unfermentable sorbates and your wine will finish naturally sweet.

Allie

Latest posts

Back