Peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
We are going to try and pick some peaches tomorrow. If the price is right, and the quality looks decent, I may grab a bunch and try my hand at peach wine. Recipes I've seen call for x pounds per gallon - usually 5-7. I'm assuming this means after you've removed the pit. So, for a 3 gallong batch, I'm assuming I'll be safe if I try to get 20-25 pounds. Is that a safe assumption? Do I need an f-pac, and if so, how many more pounds should I plan for that? Thanks!

Jim

Do you freeze them first?

My plan is to pit, quarter, then freeze. Which brings up another question. Should I add pectic enzyme prior to freezing?

Roy: thanks. Sounds like I'd be safe with just 20 lbs then if I don't need an f-pac.

Sammy, I didn't freeze them, I tried that in the past & didn't really see a difference, plus freezer space is always limited. I just de-stone & cut into 1/8's & put in a paint straining bag. At the end of fermentation there is almost nothing left in the bag. I only add the petic enz to the primary. Just my 2 cents, Roy

Thanks Roy, I have them spread out singly to finish ripening. I don't have freezer space either so I will not freeze them.

OK, we picked about 33 lbs of peaches yesterday and I set aside just under 21 for my first wine from fresh fruit. I finished de-stoning and slicing them a while ago and was left with 19lbs. They are bagged and in the freezer, since I don't think I have everything I need today (including time). My goal is to make a 3 gallon batch, and I'm still very new to this hobby; so I'm not quite sure what to do next. I've read over the recipes on the site, and am honestly more confused, as they seem to vary greatly.

What I do know (or think I know): 1) I'll need to test for acid. I plan to pick up a test kit, as well as some acid blend, and calcium carbonate for any required adjustments. 2) I plan to use Cotes de Blanc - seems to be a good yeast for fruit wines, from what I've read. Beyond that, I'm pretty clueless.

What I THINK I should do: 1) after peaches are thawed and acid adjusted, add some KMeta and pectin and let that sit for 24 hours. 2) possibly add tannin. 3) pitch yeast after 24 hours and let 'er rip.

Any assistance on the above, especially quantities would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

I did not freeze, they were so ripe I just sliced them and mashed them with my hands.

Let the k-meta work for 12-24 hours, then add the pectin, wait another 12-24 hours, then pitch the yeast.

Boatboy....usually with freezing that will help break down the cellular structure as they thaw imparting more liquid into your ferment. You don't have to add the PE to the fruit that will be frozen, though many people do & others just incorporate the PE 12-24hr after the k-meta was added.
I think you have a good target for a 3 gallon batch. Just remember whatever you do, do NOT add water...if you must impart more liquid think FLAVOR. There is Welch's frozen white grape peach concentrate, on the shelf you can find White Grape Peach(WWGP), or lately have seen ?Peach Mango?. If using frozen 11-12oz cans of concentrate I use 3-4 cans concentrate and then mix with enough water to make 1 gallon---and use that as needed to meet the volume requirement. The WWGP concentrate makes a great backsweetening agent also. Tannin is a definite, even a light addition, it has its purpose in winemaking. And remember---start in a fermenting bucket with lid just resting on top/or a light toweling covering the opening, not a carboy; that yeast needs access to oxygen as it gets started (I rack to carboy/airlock when SG has decreased by 2/3, stirring twice a day until I rack it, gently squeezing any fruit in a straining bag and I mean GENTLY).

Have you decided what starting S.G. you would like to have?

Thanks saramc, that is very helpful. I hope to get my first crack at a recipe down in the next day or so, and will post that for advice/comments before I get started. I think I'm gonna target 1.085 for a SG. That seems to be what many recipes recommend starting at.

Back