Peaches gone wild

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing one with straight Welche's 100% juice, but added a can of peaches with the syrup.
So far it seems to be pretty good. A 3 gal batch.

Bill

100% juice already reconstituted or 100% juice concentrate in cans?

I was thinking about doing a 6 gallon batch or I'm going to have to go get a 3 gallon carboy. Maybe I'll just pick up another can of the base. I'm really geared up to do 6 gallon batches. Thanks and keep us posted on how they turned out!

I was thinking about doing a 6 gallon batch or I'm going to have to go get a 3 gallon carboy. Maybe I'll just pick up another can of the base. I'm really geared up to do 6 gallon batches. Thanks and keep us posted on how they turned out!

I would not do 1 can for 5 gals, as it says you can do (3-5 gals). In my peach experiments, the one thing I have learned is that peaches are very light taste in wine. They will lose flavor during fermentation.

BTW, the super sugar batch is down to 1.100 sg from 1.141 OG, Day 5 from pitch. it still tastes really sweet, and the peach flavor is still strong enough. another .070 gravity down and it will be secondary to age time.. and is chugging along..

The original batch this thread was about, is bubbling the airlock in secondary. I intend to rack my two secondary batches this weekend, and bulk age. the peach need off the lees and the carmel chia tea, needs off sediment, and age in new carbouy.

Ya, I know what you mean. I've got a batch of Peach Mango bulk aging right now. 15# of fruit for a 6 gallon batch was not nearly enough. It's getting better but still light on flavor. Live and learn. I'm adding less and less water and more fruit as I go along. I wonder if I could use the peach syrup from canned peaches for back sweetening. I'll have to go look at the ingredients.

Ya, I know what you mean. I've got a batch of Peach Mango bulk aging right now. 15# of fruit for a 6 gallon batch was not nearly enough. It's getting better but still light on flavor. Live and learn. I'm adding less and less water and more fruit as I go along. I wonder if I could use the peach syrup from canned peaches for back sweetening. I'll have to go look at the ingredients.

Make sure you are stable first. That is what I did. Did not sorbate. but taste was fantastic. I will not have a peach port... it will be very stout.. after the fermentation finishes. I'll be racking it again this weekend, and letting it age for a year,,,

OK, the Peach wine that started this is thread is SG:1.020 down from 1.030 on the back sweeten. it will take a bit of time to clear. I racked it today, and added 1/4tsp gallon of potassium sorbate, and 1/8 tsp gallan of sodium metasulfate (stabilizer) and 1/2 tsp of sparkaloid, hoping to let it drag out some of the little buggers that are making me take a step backward..net rack will get some bentonite,.. we will see how it goes.

The Carmel Chia tea wine is clear as sorbate-metasulfate-sparkaliod treatment. I had to backfill with chia tea again, but at sg:1.020 (and no change since last time) and about 12 oz of back fill I shoild be still in the 11-12 ABV, since i was in the 13 range, before the back fill.

The super sugar peach batch s tasting great, but has gone from og1.141 to sg1.080 in a week. it is still in primary at about 6.5% and I will be adding some energizer/nutrient.. and see if they will wake up in there.. probably, a 1/4 tsp to see if makes an effect. and go from there..

that's an update... hope everyone is enjoying my story of three wines.

Peach/Honey Melomel

I made 5 gallons of peach/honey melomel. Used 21 lbs of frozen peaches, 15# of local honey. The PA initially was 25%. Used Lalvin's 71B1122. Racked 3 times over a 6 month period. Sweetened w/Torani's Peach Syrup. Very good when we bottled it. Having a hard time leaving it to age. Getting ready to start the next batch.

Just an update. I racked the super sugar, and the "re-fermented" (wine that started this thread) peach on Sunday. The "re-ferment" is a good but light peach, SG 1.020. It has a very nice flavor now. I added Meta and sorbate. I will let it clear the very little sediment that got back in. Alcohol content should be in the 13.0 - 14% ABV I figured that it started at 1.081 at 0.990, I added f-pack that put it at 1.040 and it is 1.020 for the last month. That would be 12.1 + 2.7=~13 -14 -ish. The yeast is at 14 tolerance.....very nice to drink. I tasted it.. I will clear, and rack it in a month, and then age it for a a couple months. It started back in July.
I did the same with the super sugar. It is very strong peach flavor, and very strong. This one will rack in a month, age for a few months before bottling. I think both are actually going to turn out very good. I will post updates.. original 1.141 now 1.020=16.1, but yeast tolerance is ~14 ABV

Last edited:
Back