Pairing Suggestion, Please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
OK, friends coming over tomorrow. I'm grilling some beer marinated skirt steaks an will also be serving Spanish rice and black beans (a salad as well). I'm thinking Rioja or Tempranillo, but any other thoughts? I'm thinking Viognier for white wine.

Thanks for your suggestions!

If I remember correctly, my suggestion is inspired by one you once gave me: a rosé, or, in this case, how 'bout a rosado? You can even get a Rioja rosado.

Ah, a Rose!!! :slp

Well, a big red would be good, too, but some of those items seemed to call for a more food-friendly choice. If you are going red, my vote would indeed be the Rioja you suggest. I had a Tinta de Toro that was bold (and very tannic) recently, but that may be too much!

I'm going to crack a bottle of my 2014 Chilean Cab/Merlot to see if that might be a fit as well. Don't think its ready for prime time, but I'm gonna find out soon. :dg

Edit: But first I'm going to have about a quarter of a Guinness, putting the rest into the marinade.

Last edited:
LOL, OK if you say so..... :)

Yes, its skirt steak. But this is WAY better than any fajita I've ever had.

Pic from the cookbook below. The green sauce reminds me of Chimichurri, but I like it much better. Lime juice, green bell, poblano, jalapeño and cilantro, along with some seasoning and EVOO. Much more depth of flavor in the marinade too.

IMG_3658.jpg

OK, wine run early this morning. I ended up grabbing some Coppola "Sophia" Rose.

sofiarose__07435.1377322409.1280.1280.JPG

We honeymooned at two Coppola resorts in Belize and it was then that I first had this wine. That was the wine that got me liking Rose. A year or so later, it started showing up in stores. With our 10th anniversary coming next month, I just had to grab some. Will start out with that, and some Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc for those not wanting Rose. For dinner, I picked up a little something from my boy Dave Phinney.

1148348x.jpg

We'll be starting with some snacks: Serrano ham, chorizo, manchego cheese, mixed olives and some brie (the Mrs loves her Brie).

Last edited:
Just bottled a batch of Beaujolais. Not bad for a Red that wants to be a White. Bet it would fit in... :>

Well, the Sauvignon Blanc was a huge hit, as was the Rose, and the "E", and the orange chocolate port. :)

Latest posts

Back