Oxygenated Wine Problem in MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyhomewine

Reaction score
I have a serious problem regarding a batch of Merlot in MLF. Currently I have 22 gallons of wine in a stainless steel tank that has a floating lid on top. The wine has been in there for 2 weeks and it smells like oxygen has gotten into the tank.

The wine smelled very good going into the tank after pressing and racking off the gross lees, but now smells like a bottle of wine that has been opened for many days.

I just realized today that the plastic marble-valve/air lock on the floating lid was not screwed on tightly enough (I saw wine seeping through the sides of the airlock) and it appears that air has been getting into the wine for the past two weeks. I'm freaking out now thinking that I have ruined everything I worked so hard for and am in desperate need of advice.

Is my wine ruined? Is there anything I can do to reverse this process? There is no SO2 in the wine. Please help!!!

Step one.. Take that plastic POS airlock and smash it into a million pieces. This airlock (one that just has a marble to block air flow) should, in my opinion, only be used when/if you are actively fermenting in the tank and a lot of CO2 is being expelled.

Instead, go with a standard goose-neck trap with a #10 1/2 stopper. This seals much tighter.

Step 2: Raise your lid. I like to leave about 1 inch of a gap between the lid and the wine. Wine will expand and contract and the gap prevents wine from spilling out onto the top of your lid.

Step 3: you can try to first give your wine a proper dose of k-meta. Raise the SO2 level up to 40 or 50 ppm.

Step 4: you can try to add a little tannin to your wine. If this does not work, you could always try a little ascorbic acid (a known antioxidant).

Step 5: test and ensure a proper acid level (shoot for 3.4 ph and or .62 g/l ta).

Step 6: Say a little prayer. I couldn't hurt.

OMG my worst fears have come true. I had my reservations about that POS plastic airlock even after the person who sold it to me claimed that it formed an airtight seal. Should have known better.

Taking your recommendation JohnT I have added 50ppm SO2 to the wine and racked out of the tank and into multiple glass carboys (until I can properly replace the tank's airlock) The pH is at 3.4 so no worries there.

How long should I wait before determining whether or not to add tannin? And how much tannin should I add? Same questions for Ascorbic Acid.

Being that I added SO2 right in the middle of MLF, are my MLB now dead or just laying dormant. I had also added Acti-Malo MLB nutrients at the start of MLF

Thanks for your post JohnT
I am saying prayers.

OMG my worst fears have come true. I had my reservations about that POS plastic airlock even after the person who sold it to me claimed that it formed an airtight seal. Should have known better.

Taking your recommendation JohnT I have added 50ppm SO2 to the wine and racked out of the tank and into multiple glass carboys (until I can properly replace the tank's airlock) The pH is at 3.4 so no worries there.

How long should I wait before determining whether or not to add tannin? And how much tannin should I add? Same questions for Ascorbic Acid.

Being that I added SO2 right in the middle of MLF, are my MLB now dead or just laying dormant. I had also added Acti-Malo MLB nutrients at the start of MLF

Thanks for your post JohnT
I am saying prayers.

Your MLB is most likely dead and buried. It is much more important to get the wine protected from oxidation and bacteria. A trade off that you needed to make.

For ascorbic acid, I would hold off on that and give the SO2 a chance to settle in. Wait a couple of weeks and see if your wine bounces back.

JHW, can you test the wine to see how far along your MLF got. It will be tough to get a stable wine without completing MLF. I have not been making near as long as JohnT but adding ascorbic would make me hesitate...I have only heard of that when dealing with sulfide stink, and only as a last resort since it is so hard on the wine.
You might do some research into MLB that have a high tolerance for kmeta and try restarting MLF and then pH appropriate sulfite levels to protect your wine.

FWIW, Paul

The MLB is the least of your worries, you can always pitch VP 41 when you take care of the bigger issues at hand. I agree with John on his approach.

JHW, can you test the wine to see how far along your MLF got. It will be tough to get a stable wine without completing MLF. I have not been making near as long as JohnT but adding ascorbic would make me hesitate...I have only heard of that when dealing with sulfide stink, and only as a last resort since it is so hard on the wine.
You might do some research into MLB that have a high tolerance for kmeta and try restarting MLF and then pH appropriate sulfite levels to protect your wine.

FWIW, Paul

Thanks pumpkinman,

I agree with you PaulC, ascorbic acid is a last ditch effort. that is why I advised him to wait and see if the wine bounces back...

For ascorbic acid, I would hold off on that and give the SO2 a chance to settle in. Wait a couple of weeks and see if your wine bounces back.

i think you were way to hasty adding so2 .

now you have a wine that might come back alive when your free so2 level drops.

you can now either try to restart mlf using alot of nutrient and vp41 or add a large dose of lysosyme and forget trying to finnish it.

Ascorbic acid is for h2s intervention.

if the wine tastes oxidised even after so2 , then you need to fine with pvpp or mostpur (morewine sells it)
http://morewinemaking.com/products/mostpur-20g.html

Last edited:
Hi there i am very interested in JohnT 's comments about the air locks you are using. I am using stainless tanks, floating lids and a plastic airlock with marble inside. Ive been using these for 3 years now i was very doubtful about them at first but ive been told by various writers that they are fine, they wouldnt sell them if they dont work etc etc.

I make white and rose, i ferment cold in tank, then add SO2 and rack into clean tanks, and leave over winter to clear using these airlocks. My roses are good, whites are a bit disappointing.

Do you really think these airlocks are a problem ?

Latest posts

Back