Oxidation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnthemc

Reaction score
I have made different wines on and off for several years. I had the last 4 wines ( various types) oxidize. I dumped 3 and just checked a zinfandel that's been aging and it smell like varnish. I had it topped off and added marbles so there was no head space.
Can someone tell me what I anm doing wrong? I made a few good wines but the last several are going down the drain. Thank you!

Oxidation is more than one chemistry. For my wine making it took a leap forward when I assumed there was zero residual SO2 so add a 50ppm dose of metabisulphite every racking (0.2gm per gallon roughly one Campden per five gallon carboy). This will probably be overkill with red wines but Vinmetrica numbers say it is OK with whites and country wines.
It would help to know the process especially when you have dosed metabisulphite.

? Varnish flavor ? I wonder if you are looking at ethyl acetate. This starts as vinegar (acetic acid) and then is oxidized, ,, most folks describe ethyl acetate as nail polish remover, have taken a sample to a vinters meeting and in low levels it is pleasing so they drank it. (solvent like?)
Varnish is an oil as tung oil which is heated in the presence of oxygen for several hours, I have not had what I would call “painty” aroma. For rice guy a classic place to find oxidized oil is a two year old bag of parboiled rice, especially if stored in a glass jar in the sun.

oxidation:
.. slow addition of oxygen will produce the flavor of sherry example use a LDPE milk jug as a carboy
.. excess oxygen as in too much head space for a month will produce a burn in the back of the throat when you swallow, at low levels I would describe it like apricot flavor and I have had blue ribbon wine with low levels of this.
.. micro-oxidation, ,, one of the vinters club members swears by it but I think he does more beer, ,,,, what else am I missing folks

Last edited:
I have made different wines on and off for several years. I had the last 4 wines ( various types) oxidize. I dumped 3 and just checked a zinfandel that's been aging and it smell like varnish. I had it topped off and added marbles so there was no head space.
Can someone tell me what I anm doing wrong? I made a few good wines but the last several are going down the drain. Thank you!

What kind of bung/airlock were you using? Perhaps it was leaking massively?

Oxidation is more than one chemistry. For my wine making it took a leap forward when I assumed there was zero residual SO2 so add a 50ppm dose of metabisulphite every racking (0.2gm per gallon roughly one Campden per five gallon carboy). This will probably be overkill with red wines but Vinmetrica numbers say it is OK with whites and country wines.
It would help to know the process especially when you have dosed metabisulphite.

? Varnish flavor ? I wonder if you are looking at ethyl acetate. This starts as vinegar (acetic acid) and then is oxidized, ,, most folks describe ethyl acetate as nail polish remover, have taken a sample to a vinters meeting and in low levels it is pleasing so they drank it. (solvent like?)
Varnish is an oil as tung oil which is heated in the presence of oxygen for several hours, I have not had what I would call “painty” aroma. For rice guy a classic place to find oxidized oil is a two year old bag of parboiled rice, especially if stored in a glass jar in the sun.

oxidation:
.. slow addition of oxygen will produce the flavor of sherry example use a LDPE milk jug as a carboy
.. excess oxygen as in too much head space for a month will produce a burn in the back of the throat when you swallow, at low levels I would describe it like apricot flavor and I have had blue ribbon wine with low levels of this.
.. micro-oxidation, ,, one of the vinters club members swears by it but I think he does more beer, ,,,, what else am I missing folks
Solvent like yes! Varnish, nail polish very distinct in smell and taste, undrinkable for sure!

add a 50ppm dose of metabisulphite every racking (0.2gm per gallon roughly one Campden per five gallon carboy)
Totally agree that one campden tablet per 5 gal is perfect for racking. A small point of correction is that this produces about 13ppm of sulfites rather than 50.

Latest posts

Back