Over degassing?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sully

Rookie
Reaction score
Is it possible to over degas? I have been told both. That if you use a drill and a whip you can over mix wine and actually oxygenate it. when others tell me to mix the S#%! out of it. Not sure who to believe but i know i can find the right answer here. And i also know that all my wine that i have mixed vary well has never turned out bad.

as I understand it if you use a drill and create a big vortex you chance O2 introduction.
I use a drill with a mixer. when the wine just starts to vortex I reverse the drill and go the other way as fast as I can.
this creates a great amount of turbulence. then back again as soon as the reverse side starts to vortex ...back and forth back and forth .... I do this for about 5 min and all seems to be fine after that.

most on here I think would tell you to vacuum degas but I have better bottles and cant do so.

definitely don't have a vortex going for too long, it will naturally cause a column of 02 that would feed directly into the center of your ferment....a little 02 good, a lot----not so much

Latest posts

Back