RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin Kiwi Melon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopping a fermentation before the wine goes dry is very difficult to do. Potassium sorbate does not kill yeast - it just prevents them from reproducing. Since you still have a lot of active live yeast in the wine, adding the k-meta and sorbate will not be enough to stop the fermentation.

Best to go to dry and rack off the lees before adding the f-pack.

Day 14 Update on modified Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio: Day 10 in Secondary. SG .998 @ 72F, Bubbler quiet for about 5 days.
Plans are to verify stable SG then start finning/clarifying tomorrow.

Unless I get warned, I planned to continue practicing the art of wine making,(as learned here); and somewhat ignoring printed instructions.

I already put the brake bleeder on and pump up to about 5" Hg every half a hour, to start degassing.

Tomorrow, I plan on racking to clean primary, Adding well mixed #2A(Sorbate);#2B Potassium Sorbate. Mix and degass with mix-stir in cycles for about half a hour; thenother halfof F-Pac. Then back to cleaned/sanitized 6 Gal carboy. My current thinking is to degas with brake bleeder for about 24Hrs, then add D1(Kieselsol) ; and about a hour later D2(Chitosan). I don't know if this is overkill or dangereous, input would be appreciated.

I have been watching for previously reported kit issues, and have not seen any of concern. I did see something like grannytsb originally posted. What I had were little white balls of fizz for a couple of hours around day 2.

The only flakes I have seen is when the gas bubbles rise after pumping the brake bleeder; look like chunks from the bottom, that settle back down after thier mother bubble burst.

Degassing by vacuum will bring up stuff off the bottom so no concern there. The plan looks good to me.

wade said:
Degassing by vacuum will bring up stuff off the bottom so no concern there. The plan looks good to me.

Thanks Wade. I will update when done; and starting to clear.

Day 29 onThis 28 Day Kit. Followed modified plans in prev post for 3 day degas/stabilize/clarify. I have set it outside in my storage room, generally has a lower temp of about 55-65 this time of year, bad news is air temp swings can be about15 degrees over 24 hour period, due to the morning sun.

20090329_173607_33009KiwiMelon.JPG

Thinking about giving it a few more days; then racking into clean Plastic Bucket.

I am not sure if I want to go ahead and bottle, or put back into cleaned carboy for aging and further clarifying.

I would appreciate opinions, as I don't have enough experience to know what a clear wine looks like. Remembering, that I have about $500 in this hobby, and still don't have anything to drink.

Your wine has cleared nicely, but it is almost impossible to rack off the lees you have without disturbing them and carrying some over. Best is to rack to a new carboy (or into a primary, clean the carboy, and back to that carboy) and let it re-settle. You will end up with a dusting of lees in the bottom, and it is easy at that point to rack off without any carryover.

I typically rack 3 - 4 times after fermentation before bottling. I also filter, but then, I am a fanatic.

ASAI, what is your carboy setting on? Did you make that or buy it? With the wheels it looks like it would make the carboys really easy to move around. Your wine looks great also. I starteda Blackberry Merlot this weekend. I was trying to up the ABV but I only add 4 cups of sugar instead of 4lbs so I'm not sure what I'm going to have.

Cyndy

Sadie said:
ASAI, what is your carboy setting on? Did you make that or buy it? With the wheels it looks like it would make the carboys really easy to move around.

The "Deluxe Carboy Dolly" is what Wal Mart sells as Rolling Plant Caddy, the one with the Kiwi Melon is $7 with 4 wheels, I have another smaller one with 3 wheels that cost $6. Someone posted on here a while ago a pic using one that has a terra cotta color, I have seen them at Lowes for about $10. Lowes also has some that have a redwood platform. They do look like a good idea, but, not exactly as easy to roll around as I would have hoped.

Thanks ASAI. I know I need to figure a better way to get my carboys around. It kills my back to lift themespecially when they are on the floor.

Cyndy

sadie, if your pocketbook can tolerate it, those Better Boy plastic bottles are a "dream" come true. Even with my weak back muscles, I can lift a 6 gal, no problem. ok, I don't grunt as much. hahaha
smiley36.gif

Uavwmn, don't laugh but that is what I use, better Boy plastic bottles. I only have one glass carboy and when it is full I can't even lift it. I make the wine in the kitchen then carry it to thedinning room, when ready to bulk ageIcarry it to the garage where our wine cellar is. When it is time for me to rerack I have to carry it from the garage to thekitchen. I can do it but it sure is heavy.

Cyndy

Cyndy, OMG, believe me, I am not laughing. WOW, your wine is on a travel tour!!!! hahahahaha
smiley36.gif

PeterZ said:
Your wine has cleared nicely, but it is almost impossible to rack off the lees you have without disturbing them and carrying some over. Best is to rack to a new carboy (or into a primary, clean the carboy, and back to that carboy) and let it re-settle. You will end up with a dusting of lees in the bottom, and it is easy at that point to rack off without any carryover.

I typically rack 3 - 4 times after fermentation before bottling. I also filter, but then, I am a fanatic.

Thanks PeterZ, you expressed very well, one of several paths I was thinking. I moved it into the work area tonight; figure to give it at least 24 hours to settle from the move, then rack.

I am also thinking about getting a couple of 3 gal carboys. Then I can split the 7 & 10 liter batches, bottling half at the 5-6 week time and bulk aging half for 2-3 months.

Latest posts

Back